Display outdoor basketball 1639860 960 720
by Katie Taylor

9 Things That Happen When You Go to a Big Basketball School

By Katie Taylor - Mar 30 2017

It’s March again, and you know what that means. The top 64 college basketball teams in the nation are fighting it out to find out who the best team is. I am blessed to go to a school that’s in the March Madness tournament year after year, so here’s a little insight on what that’s like.

1. You probably weren’t even a basketball fan before you got here.

It’s pretty common at big basketball schools to develop a strong obsession with the team, but most of us didn’t know anything about basketball before we got here. You’ll go from only being able to name the head coach and maybe one or two players to being able to name all of them.

2. When you see players on campus, it’s no big deal.

Even if they’re an award-winning, all-American player, you kind of get used to seeing them around campus when you run into them a few times a week. Only new freshmen make a big deal out of it (which was all of us at one point).

3. Having them in your classes, however, is a different story.

They are the campus celebs, after all, so you hear conversations like this pretty often: “Kenny Williams is in my history class.” “Oh yeah? Well Kennedy Meeks AND Isaiah Hicks are in my history class!”

4. Almost everyone follows the players on social media.

There’s no better way to get pumped up about your team than to feel like you personally know all of the players, and following them on social media like Instagram is the best way to stay updated with their lives.

5. The day the brackets come out is a big day.

Everyone always looks forward to seeing how we’re seeded, who we’ll have to play and what the road to the championship looks like for us. And, of course, everyone has their team going all the way to the National Championship, even if they’re a 16 seed that barely scraped their way into the tournament.

6. Everyone wears the team colors on game day.

On game day during the NCAA tournament, everyone, no matter where you go, is wearing a jersey or your team’s colors. The game day spirit is everywhere you look!

7. Watch parties are fun, but good luck trying to get in one.

Seriously, it’s very common for people to sit in bars or restaurants for HOURS before a game just to hold down one table. It’s called March Madness for a reason.

8. Any team that beats yours in a big game will suddenly be enemy #1.

A few years ago, if you asked a UNC student how they felt about Villanova, they probably wouldn’t have had an opinion. After last year’s National Championship game, however, it’s a different story.

9. Game winning traditions.

Every college has their own traditions if they win a big game or the National Championship, and even if you’re not that into basketball, they’re so much fun to participate in. Ask anyone who went to UNC and one of their top favorite college memories would probably be rushing Franklin Street after beating Dook (Duke) or winning the National Championship.

Going to a big basketball school is so fun because it's not just a sport — it's something that brings the whole community together. There's nothing like connecting with your classmates while rooting for your team together.

Lead Image Credit: Paulbr75 via Pixabay 

Katie Taylor - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Katie Taylor is a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill majoring in Business and minoring in Spanish. In her free time, you can find her instagramming her dog, baking anything with chocolate, or watching Game of Thrones.