Display 144778 0042 h 2016
by Katie Taylor

8 Life Lessons You Can Learn From The Bachelor

By Katie Taylor - Feb 08 2017

It’s entertaining, it’s dramatic, it’s funny and it can actually be pretty emotional. The Bachelor has been on TV since 2002, and while most of the events that transpire on the show are light-hearted, there are actually some things you can learn by tuning in every Monday night.

1. Leave the past in the past.

This season, Liz spent all her screen time talking about her past with Nick (a one night stand at a mutual friend’s wedding almost a year ago). She told all of the other girls what happened, putting Nick in a very uncomfortable position. She’s living proof that you should just leave the past in the past.

2. Be there for people you care about even when they’re sick.

Vanessa and Nick’s one-on-one date went south when Vanessa got sick on the plane, but Nick acted like a champ and held the barf bag for her, as if she was his only girlfriend and not just 1/30.

3. Find what you're passionate about

Alexis, AKA the “Aspiring Dolphin Trainer,” found what she was passionate about and ran with it. It takes a lot of guts to show up on the first night in a full out dolphin costume, especially when it’s actually a shark costume.

4. Confidence is key.

When you have to share your boyfriend with so many other girls, it can be easy to get down on yourself. Even after making a questionable impression, Corinne here teaches us that self-confidence is the key to her happiness.

5. It’s OK to cry.

Nick has had his fair share of tears already this season. They’ve been from confusion, happiness and sadness, but the point is Nick shows us that you can cry a lot on national TV and still have 30 girls vying to be your wife.

6. Leave no room for negativity in your life.

It seems like more and more, on every season someone gets left by themselves on a stranded island. This season, the target contestant was Whitney. She was that character this season who, even six episodes in, no one even knew who she was. As soon as she found out that she wasn’t getting a rose, she got a little shady towards Nick. So, he showed us that sometimes you just have to leave that negativity on a stranded island.

7. Be assertive.

On this show, one of the most noticeable trends is that the contestants who are assertive and make sure they get time with the bachelor are the ones who do the best. Vanessa is an example of that. She’s made it very clear to Nick what she wants, telling him multiple times that she’s in it for the long run.

8. Sometimes, a nap is just the best answer.

Sometimes the world can be overwhelming and you just need to take a break. Corinne has probably already set the record for most naps on this show, even sleeping through a rose ceremony. You can learn a thing or two from Corinne about relaxing.

Whether you watch The Bachelor for entertainment, a good laugh or to see the actual emotions, you can appreciate that there are definitely things to learn from this show. Let's see who Nick ends up giving the final rose to, and more things we can learn later on this season!

Lead Image Credit: American Broadcasting Company

Katie Taylor - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Katie Taylor is a freshman at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill majoring in Business and minoring in Spanish. In her free time, you can find her instagramming her dog, baking anything with chocolate, or watching Game of Thrones. Follow her on twitter! @KatieCT78