by Katie Taylor

7 Common Resolutions and How to Keep Them in College

By Katie Taylor - Jan 08 2017

We all make New Year’s resolutions we don’t keep. Somehow, the mental images of us looking like an Instagram model by bikini season or being on top of everything never really seem to come true. Here are some tips on realistically achieving some of the goals you set yourself for this New Year.

1. Eat healthier.

We make (and break) this promise to ourselves all the time. But this year, start off right by incorporating more fruits and veggies into your diet and eating unhealthy food in moderation. It can be hard in a dining hall, but eating healthier makes you feel better, and can actually improve your concentration in class.

2. Work out more.

The hardest part of this resolution is making it a habit. One way to do this is by setting a day and a time to work out, like every other morning or after a certain class. Another way is to have a workout buddy and keep each other accountable. Consistency is key, so you need to find what works best for you. Also, you have to find an exercise you actually enjoy doing to reap the full benefits of working out.

3. Go to class more.

This one’s pretty simple. Even if it’s freezing out and all you want to do is stay inside, find the motivation to go. Look on the bright side, you’ll get fresh air on the walk to class!

4. Don’t get behind on school work.

There are many ways to follow this resolution — but the key part is to find a way to keep yourself motivated. One way to accomplish that is to study with a friend in the class, so you keep each other accountable, or you could find some way to reward yourself for doing well on assignments and tests. Also, getting a planner or writing down assignments in your phone will help keep you organized.

5. Spend more time with friends.

Make it a priority to take time away from work and hang out with your friends. Building healthy relationships is beneficial for so many reasons including mental health, and although it can be hard to find the time when you have a busy schedule, it’s definitely worth it.

6. Keep your dorm room organized.

The easiest way to follow this resolution is to not let your room get messy in the first place. Coming back from winter break, make a commitment to put everything in its place and clean up when you notice your room is starting to get messy. Having a clutter-free space is a lot less stressful, and your roommate will thank you too!

7. Read more.

Find books you’re actually interested in, and set aside time to relax and enjoy reading. Pro tip: if you disconnect from technology before bed and read instead, it’ll help you fall asleep faster!

While these goals are all satisfying, slipping up is natural. Remember, you can make resolutions any time during the year, setting goals for yourself doesn’t have to happen only in January!

Lead Image Credit: Alexander Redl via Unsplash

Katie Taylor - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Katie Taylor is a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill majoring in Business and minoring in Spanish. In her free time, you can find her instagramming her dog, baking anything with chocolate, or watching Game of Thrones.