Display larm rmah 216854
by Katie Taylor

11 Service Clubs to Check Out at University of North Carolina– Chapel Hill

By Katie Taylor - Oct 04 2017

Walking around campus you’ve probably heard of some of the bigger service clubs like Helping Paws and Carolina for the Kids, but there are so many service clubs at UNC that aim to help different groups of people in the community and around the world. Here are some different clubs and organizations where you can help make a difference while at UNC.

1. Blueprints for Pangaea

Millions of people suffer from medical conditions that would be easily treatable if they had the proper supplies. Blueprints for Pangaea aims to help that problem by collecting surplus medical supplies and sending them to hospitals in impoverished areas around the world.

2. Operation Building Courage

This club helps provide courage to kids in need in the local community by making personalized Build-A-Bears for kids in UNC hospitals and the Chapel Hill Refugee Support Center.

3. Project Dinah

Project Dinah is a club that educates and raises awareness for sexual assault and interpersonal violence with the goal of putting an end to it on the UNC campus and throughout the world.

4. Pencils of Promise

Around the world, 250 million children can’t read or write. Pencils of Promise is an initiative that aims to solve that problem by building schools around the world. So far, Pencils of Promise chapters have built a combined total of 400 schools.

5. Chapel Hill Immigrant and Family Health

This club’s purpose is to solve the inequality in health care that exists for immigrant and refugee families. They create an inclusive environment by ensuring that the necessary tools and resources are provided for these families.

6. The Helping Hand Project

The Helping Hand Project helps to provide prosthetic limbs for kids whose families would otherwise not be able to afford them. Student designers and builders create innovative prosthetics for these children in need.

7. Carolina Swim Clinic

This club provides free swimming lessons to children in the Chapel Hill area and tutors Spanish-speaking parents in English during their children’s swim lessons. This club aims to teach children basic, life-long skills and empower their families.

8. Campus Y

The Campus Y is the center for social justice at UNC and they work with various other clubs to provide a safer, more just environment for everyone through education and activism. This organization is also over 150 years old, making it one of the oldest university clubs in the country.

9. Be The Match

This club encourages college students to enroll for the national bone marrow registry through education and fundraising. Young people are ideal bone marrow donors, but most college-aged students are oblivious to this problem.

10. Musical Empowerment

Musical Empowerment pairs a UNC student with a child from a low-income family in the Chapel Hill area and the student shares their love of music with the child by teaching them how to play an instrument with one-on-one lessons every week.

11. Carolina Global Oasis Club

This club researches which areas of the world lack access to clean water and then fundraises to provide clean water solutions and educate others about this problem in impoverished countries throughout the world.

Getting involved is an important part of the college experience and luckily, at a big school like UNC, there are so many different ways to channel your interests and hobbies into service.

Lead Image Credit: Larm Rmah via Unsplash

Katie Taylor - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Katie Taylor is a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill majoring in Business and minoring in Spanish. In her free time, you can find her instagramming her dog, baking anything with chocolate, or watching Game of Thrones.