Display 12191711 1183820751636502 4567044666704164620 n
by Katie Kim

6 Things I Would Tell My High School Self

By Katie Kim - May 22 2016

Sometimes, the most important thing we need in life is a mentor or an individual to redirect us in the right direction and remind us of what's truly important. It's really easy to lose our sense of self and sanity in the midst of all the chaos that is known as high school and often times, this can lead us to take things for granted and behave in certain ways – both good and bad. 

Growing up as an only child, while I did have several important people in my life who helped me in times of trouble, I never really had someone who walked through every single stage of my life with me. Because of this, while I attended high school, I realized that there were several things I wished I knew before entering a new chapter of my life. These are some of them (addressed to mini me): 

Dear Katie, 

Grades are only partially everything.

It would be a lie to say that grades are not important because they really do determine a lot of what your future is going to look like, but it would also be a lie to say that grades are worth all the tears, pain, stress, and sleepless nights. So even though you may really need that A on the math test, don't kill yourself over studying. 

Stop comparing yourself to others. 

Comparing yourself to someone else is only going to hurt you. No matter what, someone will always be smarter, prettier, cooler, funnier and nicer. Everyone is different and each person possesses his/her own special qualities that sets him/her apart. Focus instead on what makes you YOU. And learn to love those special qualities.

Everyone has bad days.

It's never just about you so stop throwing yourself pity parties and stay focused on what's in front of you. Life is too short and high school is even shorter. There's simply no time to break down just because you spilled something on your favorite shirt and your hair is parted in a weird way. Get yourself together and be thankful for what you have. 

You can't like everyone and not everyone can like you. 

Some "friends" just weren't meant to be. Stop trying to convince yourself that you can still keep them by your side. Chances are if you don't enjoy their company, they don't enjoy yours. 

Learn to have fun every once in a while and BE INVOLVED at school. 

Don't make lame excuses as to why you can't hang out with someone (unless you are genuinely trying to avoid this particular individual for whatever reason). Make the most of your free time and go to football games! It doesn't matter if you like the sport or not because it's about being with people whose presence you truly enjoy. 

Stop trying to please everyone else.

You've gone through four years of high school making decisions based on one statement- "As long as it makes my parents happy." It's time that you learned to make your own decisions. Do what you want to do and find happiness out of that.

Lead Image Credit: Katie Kim

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)