by Katie Kim

A Summer Vacation Travel Guide to Atlanta, Georgia

By Katie Kim - Jun 02 2017

There are a lot of states in the United States that you could travel to in the summer, but there isn't a state that's quite like Georgia. If you were wondering where you should visit, read this article to learn about the beauties and fun that this southern state, more specifically Atlanta (its capital), has to offer. 

1. Georgia Aquarium

The largest aquarium in all of the United States, the Georgia Aquarium represents hundreds of thousands of different species that you can find in the aquarium's five exhibits (Tropical Diver, Ocean Voyager, Cold Water Quest, River Scout and Dolphin Tales). There are also multiple shows that you can watch if you want a little extra excitement. Some of these include 4D shows, a dolphin show and a sea otter show. 

Katie Kim

2. World of Coca-Cola

If you ever wanted to learn more about Coca-Cola, then this museum is the one for you. You can not only learn about the history of how Coca-Cola came to be, but you can also catch a cute picture with the polar bear and also watch a fun 4-D short film. At the end of your trip, don't forget to taste Coca-Cola products from all around the world (yes, you heard it)! Be sure to try the drink 'Beverly' when you go (you probably won't thank me). 

Katie Kim

3. Six Flags Over Georgia

If you love rollercoasters and are in for a thrill, be sure to visit Six Flags Over Georgia! There are a ton of rides to choose from and all of them are sure to get your heart racing. Make sure to ride 'Goliath,' which drops you from 20 stories at 70 miles per hour, and the Great American Scream Machine, which is a classic that was built in 1973 and still stands as the location's most recognizable landmark. 

4. High Museum of Art

This museum is one of the leading art museums in the United States. Its permanent collection includes more than 15,000 works across many areas including modern and contemporary art, photography, European art, etc. Be sure to check its schedules for exhibitions because they always come and go! This is a perfect location to not only appreciate great talent but also to catch some artsy pics for your Instagram! 

5. Ponce City Market

A beauty to behold in itself, Ponce City Market is a shopping district that comes with restaurants, boutiques, stores and a great atmosphere. Take note that you may need to take some extra cash with you when you go because things can get pretty pricey.

6. Goat Farm Arts Center

An extremely popular location for pictures on Instagram, this place is super artsy and will most definitely make you feel inspired. In addition, the center hosts music concerts, theatrical performances, film screenings, art exhibitions and more. You have to check the place out in person to truly get a grasp of how great the place is. 

7. Atlanta Beltline

There's a whole lot to do and a whole lot to see on the Atlanta Beltline. You could go on the trails and get your exercise or check out Art on the Beltline, which showcases works of hundreds of artists and musicians. Be on the look out for a Tiny Door, too. 

This only scratches the surface on what Atlanta, GA has to offer for all tourists. There's so much to do that if you visit, you're going to want to make sure you set aside several days to truly get the full experience! Here's to traveling and making new memories! 

Lead Image Credit: Jessica Furtney via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)