Display 11288977 1019575804727665 3014208148118554775 o
by Katie Kim

8 Simple Tips for Reinventing Yourself in College

By Katie Kim - Jun 07 2016
They say that college is the time for true self discovery-the time for new beginnings and opportunities to meet new people. In a new environment with strangers, there really is no better time to re-establish yourself in the way you've always wanted to. It's a lot easier than you might think, and it's the perfect way to finally let go of all of your embarrassing high school mistakes that you thought would haunt you forever. 

1. Switch up that wardrobe. 

Clothes are a great way to truly express yourself without needing to actually engage in a conversation with someone. Your wardrobe should be reflective of your personality and you should always strut what you have on with CONFIDENCE. Remember: fashion has no rules or boundaries when it comes to embracing your own individuality! 

2. Get new hair. 

This step isn't as risky as some may think. Hair always grows out. However, if you're still scared of getting a drastic cut, you can always dye your hair instead. It's fun and if things go wrong, you can always dye it again! I don't know about you, but I'm ready to go completely blue (did not mean for that to rhyme but it did). 

3. Be involved on campus.

This is bound to be one of the best ways to really get to know people and figure out which crowd you belong to. In high school, not going to the football games was forgivable, but college is a completely different story. Be sure to participate in as many school activities and events as possible, and join clubs! This is a great way to surround yourself with different people that have similar interests. 

4. Spice up your dorm.

They say that one's living space can say a lot about one's personality and general attitude. The way our rooms look really do have a big impact on how we carry out tasks and feel on a daily basis whether we are aware of it or not. That being said, your dorm is your own personal space so display those band posters that you were scared of being judged for (even your Justin Bieber ones!). Hopefully your roommate will love you enough to accept you, too. 

5. Get that music playlist started.

Music is an incredibly crucial step because we carry it around with us everywhere we go. Find the type of music that GETS YOU GOING. Give various genres that you wouldn't normally listen to a try, too. You'll never know what you actually like until you give it a listen. 

6. Create a vision for yourself and follow that path. 

Sometimes, thinking about the future can be scary, especially when you're really not sure where to even start. Take time to really evaluate all the options that are provided to you and find your true passion that you wish to possibly pursue later on. Then, direct your focus on achieving this particular goal. Going after something you truly value and love will help you understand who you really are and who you really want to be. 

7. Never let anyone else define you. 

In the process of finding yourself and reinventing yourself to be the best version of you that you want to be, it's important to stay strong to your decisions and opinions. The moment that you let others make decisions for you, the moment that you start to lose your true identity. Do what feels right and what makes you truly happy.

8. No matter what, always remember that you are perfect just the way you are. 

While the idea of changing yourself might seem appealing, remember that before you attempt to start fresh and create a new identity for yourself, you have to learn to embrace who you are at the moment. You should always love yourself for you and be comfortable where you stand. Don't be afraid to showcase your individuality!

Here's to a new life and a new you!!!

Lead Image Credit: Katie Kim 

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)