Display untitled 1
by Katie Kim

How to Master Makeup Looks for Halloween

By Katie Kim - Oct 09 2016

With October finally underway, it's time to think about plans for the upcoming holiday that we all have grown to love as a child and still love as young adults  Halloween. If you're a Halloween lover like me, then you're most likely going to find yourself getting into the holiday spirit by watching horror movies and sharing scary stories. Of course, you can't forget the most crucial and fun part – deciding what you're going to be for Halloween this year. 

Everyone knows that costumes are necessary in order to properly celebrate the special day, but many people can forget that makeup is also key in really completing any look. This year, I challenge everyone to really step out of their boundaries and get fully into character. 

If you want to get some makeup inspiration, you should check out the following YouTubers.

1. Petrilude

If you're into gore and super intense looks, then this is the perfect channel for you. This guy will show you how to make your skin look like it's decaying and falling off (basically how to look like you're actually dying). Warning: some of these looks may actually scare you (yes I have been frightened on multiple occasions by the thumbnails) and may require extra tools to really achieve the look. 

Difficulty Level: Hard

2. Dope2111

If you want to transform into one of your favorite celebrities/movie characters this year, then Promise's makeup tutorials will be your best friend. She has a ton of videos that range from how to look like your favorite Disney character to how to look like Beyonce. 

Difficulty Level: Medium/Hard

3. Madeyewlook

If you're really into makeup and challenging yourself, then try watching some of these videos. With a heavy focus on makeup, these tutorials will not only focus on the face but also require special attention to a bit of body painting. 

Difficulty Level: Insane

It's important to also be prepared with the right tools. Here are some items that you may need for your next look. 

1. Fake Blood

Not much has to be said about this one. Blood should always be a part of anyone's look for Halloween.

2. Liquid Latex

If your look requires layered looks of scar tissue or deep gashes/hanging skin, then this will be your best friend. 

3. Face Paint

You could always go for actual makeup products, but if you're not much of a makeup collector, you can always choose to buy some face paint instead. Make sure you buy one that has a wide variety of colors and great pigment. 

4. Brushes

These are needed for any makeup look that you'll be doing for Halloween. Precision and attention to detail is key so be sure to pick up the right set of brushes to use on your face!

5. Hairspray

Makeup doesn't just apply to the face. If your look requires colored hair, buy colored hairspray to really immerse yourself into character. 

6. Makeup Remover

After the night is over and you've scared enough people, you're going to want to take off all the gunk on your face. It was fun while it lasted, but now it's time to return to being normal. Make sure to remove all your makeup completely and properly with a makeup remover (preferably oil-based) to avoid irritated skin the next day.

Remember that Halloween is all about getting creative and having fun. Don't be afraid to play around with different looks and if your makeup doesn't turn out the way you want it to, just splash on some fake blood and call it a night.

Here's the look that I went for last Halloween.

Image by Katie Kim

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)