Display freshu 1
by Katie Kim

8 Ways to Maximize Space in a College Dorm

By Katie Kim - Aug 04 2016

One of the less exciting parts about college would probably have to be moving out of your spacious bedroom. Living with a roommate is great, but the limited amount of space that you're actually given to work with in a college dorm can really get to be a struggle. If you've ever wondered how some students managed to fit their extra clothes and cabinets while still maintaining their own personal style, you should keep reading. They may have used a couple of these tips to get started.

1. Loft your bed.

This one is a pretty obvious one and most students understand the great benefits that come with lofting a bed. There are endless possibilities when it comes to deciding what to do with the extra space. You could easily make it into a small lounge area with a cute futon or even a place for storage to keep away any extra school supplies or clothes that you're saving up for the next season. 

2. Add a hanging shelf to your closet rod.

If you've ever struggled from a lack of space in your closet, then a hanging shelf may just be your solution. Hanging shelves are affordable and are a great way to store your shoes without having them take up all the floor space. This way, you can expand your shoe collection to your heart's desire. 

3. Make use of even your door and purchase an over-the-door rack.

Most people forget that even doors can be used to store any extra items that may be otherwise scattered around. An over-the-door rack is great because it adds a level of organization and depending on the size of the pockets, you can store a multitude of various items. If you're one to easily misplace things like your car keys or any other out-and-about necessities, I highly recommend that you take advantage of this tip.

4. Don't use just any chair - use an ottoman. 

If you think hard enough, you'll realize that there really are endless ways to store your dorm items. Don't think you have to sacrifice space for style. Ottomans allow you to have guests sit comfortably while storing things such as magazines (and all this at the same time). Not to mention that ottomans can also be super stylish.

5. Make use of command hooks. 

Most schools will most likely have policies against drilling any holes in your dorm walls, so command hooks are an absolute necessity. With command hooks, you'll be able to hang anything from your favorite photo frames to necklaces or jackets that you can't place elsewhere. 

6. Decorate the walls to match your personal style. 

Don't think that buying furniture is the only way to make your dorm "#goals." Posters of your favorite bands and pictures of you and your roommate are also great ways to add a personal touch to any room. You could also frame things such as your favorite quotes for that extra boost of inspiration when you may need it. 

7. Keep the color of your furniture light.

This tip won't physically give you more space, but it will give you the illusion of a larger room. Darker, more solid colored furniture tend to stand out more, causing your space to appear tighter and more cluttered. Stick to light colors to brighten your room and your mood! 

8. Get wall shelves (and don't forget that corner shelves are great, too).

Wall shelves are a great way to make your room look much more artsy while taking up very little space. With wall shelves, you can decorate your room with small potted plants and your favorite books. This way, you'll have much more desk space to study for those exams. 

Living in a dorm is an important aspect of gaining the full college experience, so make the most of it to ensure that your college memories are ones that you actually want to remember. Happy shopping and may all your move-in days be stress-free! 

Lead Image Credit: Rob Bye on Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)