Display inbal marilli 3425
by Katie Kim

8 Signs That You're A College Freshman

By Katie Kim - Mar 04 2017

In high school, it was extremely easy to pick out all the new freshmen because there weren't as many students and there wasn't much of a campus. In college, you're constantly surrounded by new people everyday and you're always on the run from one side of campus to the other. While it may be more difficult to identify a freshman, it's not necessarily impossible. Here are some signs that you're a college freshman.

1. You wear a lanyard around your neck.

There's nothing that yells "freshman" like a lanyard swinging back and forth on your neck while you're walking to your next class. 

2. You dress up for class. 

Anyone who's been at college for a while understands that comfort beats style. Dressing up at times is nice, but no one really does it everyday (unless you're a freshman). 

3. You skip classes all the time.

Whereas in high school skipping classes meant that you were most likely a senior, in college, it works the opposite way. The older you get in college, the more you realize that you really need to go to classes. 

4. You travel on foot. 

Buses can be intimidating for freshmen. Whereas freshmen will walk 20 minutes to get to a class, upperclassmen will take advantage of buses and take one even for a class that's only 10 minutes away via walking. 

5. You travel in large groups. 

In high school, it was always about traveling in large groups (also known as your "squad"). College freshmen will most likely try to carry this habit on in their first year at their university, but they will soon realize that independence is a key characteristic of a true college student. 

6. You're happy all the time. 

As unfortunate as it is, college isn't always a fun time. Students who have been at college for a while will most likely start to show signs of fatigue and pessimistic attitudes. Of course, this doesn't apply to every single student. Freshmen, on the other hand, will most likely be excited to be in a new environment with no restrictions. 

7. You have classes that start before 10 AM. 

One mistake that all college freshmen make is registering for early morning classes. It makes sense that this happens often, too, because we've been conditioned to believe that we can wake up at 7 AM throughout our elementary, middle and high school years. 

8. You stay up late just because. 

You're finally free from your parents' grasps which means you no longer have a curfew. Freshmen will always take advantage of this to hang out with friends or do some extra studying "just to feel productive." Upperclassmen will take every opportunity to take naps (even if it's just for 10 minutes). 

In the end, there's nothing bad about being a freshman. Everyone goes through that awkward stage so it's completely normal. Live it up your first year because it'll be one of your best! 

Lead Image Credit: Inbal Marilli via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)