by Katie Kim

8 Freshmen Share What They Miss Least About High School

By Katie Kim - Mar 26 2017

When college students are asked to think back to their high school years, they usually shudder at the mere thought. It's pretty common knowledge that once students enter college, they wonder how they ever survived four years of high school. Here are things that college freshmen don't miss about high school — at all. 

1. Elizabeth R., University of Texas, Austin 

"One of the many things I don't miss about high school is having to rely on transportation to get me to school: either a traffic-cramped car ride with a parent or a long bus ride. Since I live on campus, I can choose what time to wake up, how and when I'm getting to class and get a wonderful breakfast at the dining hall in half the time. So I guess basically everything about the morning of class." 

2. Joshua K., University of Georgia

"I don't miss having six classes in a row, five days a week. Now that I'm in college, I don't know how I survived in high school doing that everyday." 

3. Madilyn H., Auburn University

"I hated having to be forced to go to classes. In college, I have the freedom to go to class whenever I want. Of course, this doesn't mean that not going to classes doesn't come with its own consequences. Being able to make the decision regardless, however, is important to me." 

4. Joy Z., University of Georgia

"People in high school don't have access to cars or are just getting their licenses so getting to places to hangout was such a hassle. In college, you have the freedom to go wherever you want and it so happens that the friends you make in college are just a walk away. This is especially important and convenient for students like me who don't get the chance to get their licenses until college." 

5. D'Audra Metoyer, Xavier University of Louisiana

"One thing I definitely don't miss about high school is going to class all day. In college, I go to class for about half of the day and some of my classes are 50 minutes."

6. Vincent C., University of Georgia

"Well for one, I hated having to get up at eight [a.m.] everyday no matter what. I always stayed up playing games with my friends on the computer so waking up early is not OK." 

7. Jasmine Jones, Xavier University of Louisiana

"Something I don't miss is the lack of freedom. Our freedom was very limited in terms of expression and choice. We had a strict dress code, couldn't walk with earphones in and had to ask to go to the bathroom. I love the freedom that college gives you... I walk to class listening to music and I love it! I [also] can wear Nike shorts/tights without being questioned. The limited expression is something I definitely don't miss about high school." 

8. Ellison P., University of Georgia 

"I don't miss the fixed schedules. [In college], I get to have classes in the afternoon. This in itself is a huge difference from high school." 

Now that high school is done and over forever, one thing's for sure — we'll never have to experience any of these feelings again. 

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)