Display iu u2 ech18 julia caesar
by Katie Kim

8 Conversation Starters To Make New Friends

By Katie Kim - Feb 05 2017

Making friends is an important skill to have and an important step to take when entering an entirely new environment in college. Being surrounded by a whole different type of crowd allows you to get a fresh start and build new relations that are unique from the ones that you had in high school. Approaching someone can be difficult and even intimidating at times, but it's worth your time. Here are some conversation starters to help you get started on your mission to meet new people. 

1. What are your hobbies? 

Everyone likes to talk about things and activities that they are interested in. Asking about hobbies is a great way to get to know someone and also determine what to talk about next. If he/she likes sports, you can try to carry on the conversation from there (looks like your sports knowledge came in handy after all). 

2. Where have you traveled? 

Talking about travels always brings back fond memories and let's face it — if we could go on a vacation everyday, we probably would. Ask where he/she has traveled and which trip he/she enjoyed most and why. Literally. The questions are endless from there. 

3. What's your favorite part of campus (or school)? 

Because you and your stranger are sharing the same space by attending the same school, you can try to find ways that you two are similar (or at least ways that you can relate with each other). Asking about what he/she likes about school also gives you room to add your own input on your opinions of school. 

4. What kind of movies do you enjoy?

Horror? Action? Comedy? Chick flicks? There are so many movie genres to choose from (and even more movies to talk about under each genre). If you two end up having similar tastes or better yet, the same favorites, you'll instantly be able to bond. 

5. What would you say is your best talent?

Everyone has a weird or unique hidden talent that they're secretly dying to showcase. Be one of the first to ask and witness your stranger's own talents. 

6. What would you do if you only had 24 hours to live?

This is a commonly asked question, but it's a good one because it gives you insight on what the other person values and places priority on. Also, it can help you determine if he/she has any bucket list items that he/she may want to cross off. 

7. What's on your bucket list?

Speaking of bucket lists, this is a great question that can really spark an interesting conversation (especially if he/she has some crazy ideas). Perhaps the both of you can share in your equally strange and crazy aspirations. 

8. Do you want to hang out sometime later this week?

This one isn't so much of a conversation "starter" — in fact, you really shouldn't ask this at the beginning of a conversation — but it's a great way to try to potentially start a friendship before the both of you leave the conversation to go about your days. The most important step in creating a strong bond with someone new is to stay in touch. 

Grades may be important in college, but also remember that these are some of the last years that you'll be able to be constantly surrounded by hundreds of people everyday. There won't be a better time to create bonds that will last for the rest of your life so take advantage of this time now! 

Lead Image Credit: Julia Caesar

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)