Display c2jk72dnqka jakob owens
by Katie Kim

7 Ways to Start the New Year Off Right

By Katie Kim - Dec 31 2016

It's probably safe to say that 2016 wasn't the brightest year for everyone. Thankfully, we only have day of 2016 left! A new year means a new start and this time, we're determined to make it the best one yet. Here are some ways to start the new year off on the right foot. 

1. Wake up happy. 

It's January 1st! Congratulations, you have made it through another year! The best way to start off the day is to wake up happy. Jam to your favorite music and get out of bed with a smile on your face!

2. Eat happy. 

This time, you're not going to skip breakfast. After all, it's the most important meal of the day! Get your whole family together on New Year's Day and have a nice breakfast complete with of all your favorite foods!

3. Spread the love. 

Nothing makes people happier than feeling loved. Tell all your loved ones that you love them and make sure they feel appreciated. They'll most likely return the favor. 

4. Start your New Year's resolutions.

Remember that resolutions list you made? You should probably try to maintain as much of it as possible so get a head start by getting that gym membership (yeah I know that's on your resolutions list — don't lie)! 

5. Do something you've always wanted to do. 

A new year means a new you. Do something that you've always wanted to do that you've never done! It doesn't matter how small or how big it may be. 

6. Look good. 

Going out with friends or family? Show everyone that you're ready to conquer the new year by looking your best! Don't forget to take a cute selfie for Instagram, too. 

7. Wind down and relax.

At the end of the day, treat yourself to some good old Netflix and a bath. At the end of the day, all we really want is some down time to be lazy again (just for a little while). 

Let's hope that 2017 is the year for everyone! Cheers to a new, improved you! 

Lead Image Credit: Jakob Owens via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)