Display lxemu7v0 mq clarisse meyer
by Katie Kim

7 Ways to Determine Whether You Should Have the Same Roommate Next Year

By Katie Kim - Jan 16 2017

Now that mostly everyone has settled into their second semester of college, it's time to think towards the future — more specifically, living situations. Whether you're living in an apartment or a dorm next year, it's always important to consider who you'll be sharing that living space with. By now, you should have a pretty good idea of what kind of person your roommate is so it's time to ask yourself a serious question: can you live with them for another two semesters or is it time to meet someone new? Here are some questions that you should answer before you make your decision.

1. Can you two work things out?

Fighting with your roommate doesn't necessarily mean that you two aren't compatible. After all, fights make people stronger — that is, if you handle them well. You and your roommate should be able to work through problems together and have sincere conversations without being scared to be honest. If you're constantly bothered by the things your roommate does and you're not able to open up to them about those things for whatever reason, it may be time to find someone new. 

2. Do you share the same values? 

No two people are exactly the same, but it definitely helps to have similar values when building a strong bond. There should always be mutual respect, care and honesty between the two of you. Any efforts that are one-sided will always cause problems between people. 

3. Is your definition of "fun" the same?

While it's good to spend time apart from your roommate, you should also be able to have actual fun with them as well from time to time. If you're into drinking and you like to go out every weekend but your roommate doesn't, it can be difficult to find time for each other. Find someone who you can share your favorite activities with. 

4. How do you two handle clutter? 

Were you ever bothered by the fact that your roommate never threw away their trash? Or bothered by their pile of clothes that seemed to grow more and more each week? If you like to be organized and like tidiness, it might be time to find someone else who also likes to keep things spotless. 

5. Do you handle money similarly?

As much as we wish it wasn't true, money plays a crucial role in college. You and your roommate don't necessarily have to share the same financial situation, but it's always helpful to live with someone who recognizes and agrees with how you choose to spend money. If you're broke but you're living with someone who likes to eat out every week, you might find yourself in a sticky situation. 

6. Do you have similar tastes in terms of decor? 

This might seem pretty ridiculous to ask yourself at first, but you'll quickly realize that living with someone who has the same tastes and vision of a living space as you will make the moving – in process so much easier and fun. Think about it: you two can spend the weekend doing DIY project to make your apartment/dorm extra "#goals." 

7. Do you two bring each other genuine happiness?

Overall, the most important thing to ask yourself is this: do you feel like you can truly be yourself and do you find yourself laughing when you're with your roommate? Sharing positive vibes with your roommate is crucial. Sure, it's fine to have bad days every now and then. Most days, though, should be full of new surprises and memories. 

While academics are a large part of college, building relationships that you're going to keep for the rest of your life is also something to work towards. The relationship that you have with a roommate is something that no one can replace so make sure you choose wisely with no regrets!

Lead Image Credit: Clarisse Meyer via Unsplash 

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)