by Katie Kim

7 Freshmen Describe College in One Word

By Katie Kim - Dec 04 2016

Now that the first semester of college is finally reaching its end, every freshman has a pretty good grasp on what the college life is REALLY like. Here's what seven freshmen had to say about their college experience — all summed up in one word. 

1. "Unexpected."

"College was different from what people told me it [would be] like. Everyone has different experiences and no two stories are the same." — Alice L., Emory University

2. "Paradoxical."

"It feels so liberating to be free from the restrictions of parents but, at the same time, you're weighed down by the burden and pressure of grades and by your own responsibilities." — Angela L., Georgia State University

3. "Refreshing."

"College is a time for new opportunities and a free and liberating life away from parents. You get to make your own decisions and find your own ways to motivate yourself. Essentially it's just a new lifestyle that I can both hate and love at certain times." — Joy Z., University of Georgia

4. "Scary."

"There are a lot of different types of people and a lot of different places on campus. Being a creature of habit, I never really got used to always being introduced to new ideas. Staying away from home for an extended period of time would also give me anxiety sometimes." — Madeline P., University of Florida

5. "Dissatisfying."

College hasn't been the experience I've expected/others have told me about (so far, at least). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm a commuter, but college, at this point, just feels like an extension of high school. Life is just as much of a routine as it was in high school and there's nothing exciting or spontaneous happening in my life like you'd expect college to be like." — John Y., Georgia State University

6. "Surprising."

"College is a time for you to discover just a little more about yourself. You change a lot, grow a lot, and let go of a lot. College has, so far, been an eye-opening experience." — Ting L., University of Georgia

And finally, if I could describe college so far in one word, it would be...

7. "Confusing."

They all say that college is the time where you truly get to discover yourself, but I can't quite say that I've reached that far yet. I'm constantly wondering if the decisions I make are the right ones and if the way I'm presenting myself to others is proper. It can be really hard to stay true to yourself on a large campus. Also buses will always confuse me because I suck at directions.

All in all, the college experience is unique to everyone and can come with its own benefits and downfalls. What can be determined for sure is that the college experience is something that no one can ever truly forget. 

Lead Image Credit: Chris Lawton via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)