Display freshu  6
by Katie Kim

7 Apps For the Stressed College Student

By Katie Kim - Nov 06 2016

As we get further into the semester and closer to final exams, most college students will forget how to manage their stress levels and stop finding time to relax in the midst of cramming and losing sleep. While it may seem impossible, especially during exam week, finding ways to de-stress is actually really simple and you can even do it from your phone. To get you started, here are seven apps that can help you do just that.

1. Stop, Breathe & Think

A Webby Award winner and People's Voice winner with extremely high ratings, Stop, Breathe, & Think is a free app available for iOS and Android in which you can record your thoughts and emotions before and after meditating. The app encourages mindful thinking and offers a range of meditation techniques to choose from to fit your own style of winding down and finding inner peace. Mindfulness training has proven to promote and support emotional and social intelligence.

2. Digipill

Another iOS and Android compatible app,  Digipill provides audio "pills" that usually play for half an hour and work to address a wide range of issues (anything from quitting smoking to getting a good night's sleep). While downloading the app is free and a complimentary pill for relaxation is included with the download, you will have to purchase any other pills that you may want to have in your "cabinet." These digital pills have been created by internationally recognized mind coach Brian Colbert so there are definitely no gimmicks here. 

3. Spotify 

Most likely every student already knows about Spotify, but it can't hurt to mention it here. If you're a fan of music and you find it helpful when cramming for exams, then you'll definitely enjoy this app. With thousands of songs to listen to, you can create your own playlist or simply listen to one created by another user. For studying, I recommend using the "Focus" playlist found under "Moods" when you browse through already created playlists. While it's free, if you want to avoid the annoying ads, you'll have to pay for Spotify Premium (and don't worry, there are student discounts for this).

4. Happify 

An app dedicated to bringing happiness, Happify provides users with de-stress games, motivational articles, quotes and audio tracks created by actual psychology coaches. It is available for both iOS and Android and is free, but for extra features, you do have to pay. 

5. iStudiez Pro 

An app designed specifically for students to stay organized, iStudiez Pro is available on iOS and Android and provides multiple different options and features to help you stay on top of your busy schedule. Not only can you track your schedule and create to-do lists like you can do with a planner, but you can also keep track of your grades and  calculate your GPA. By prioritizing tasks and knowing where you stand academically, you can eliminate some of the stress that comes with trying to do everything at once. 

6. Monument Valley

A game for iOS and Android, Monument Valley was the winner of a multitude of awards both in 2014 and 2015. A puzzle game in which you take princess Ida through various mazes and optical illusions, the incredible visuals and music allow you to completely relax. While you do have to pay $3.99 to download this game, many have claimed that it was worth the price. 

Another app designed to help organize your to-do list and manage tasks throughout the day, is available for iOS and Android and is the most popular task management app available. Stay organized and on top of all of your day-to-day work with this free app. Organization is the key to relieving stress and feeling in control of your life.

Grades are important for sure, but so is your emotional and mental health. Balancing stress is definitely a skill that has to be learned, but when you figure it out, you'll find college and studying to be much easier. Good luck to all my sleep deprived friends!  

Lead Image Credit: Sylwia Bartyzel via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)