Display claudia viloria 20157
by Katie Kim

6 Tips For Meal Prep In College

By Katie Kim - Mar 12 2017

In college, it can be difficult to find time to cook a full, healthy meal everyday. While prepackaged food is convenient and therefore more appealing, it isn't necessarily the best option. Instead, try these tips. I promise that they're easy, affordable and quick. 

1. Cook enough for the week. 

Make foods that you can keep in the freezer in order to save you the extra time later on. For example, for those mornings when it's impossible to find time to prepare breakfast, you can make pancakes in bulk over the weekend and easily keep them stored away in the freezer for the rest of the week. Salads are also great to have ready-to-eat or on-the-go. Make salad in bulk and pack it in mason jars to eat later! Just be sure to keep salad dressing away from the jars to avoid soggy veggies. You can also do this with your favorite smoothie! 

2. Buy everything in bulk. 

Buying ingredients in bulk not only saves you an extra trip to the grocery store, but it can also save you a lot of money. Most grocery stores will have "buy one, get one" or "buy 10 for $10" deals that you should really take advantage of (especially if it's non-perishable food). 

3. Buy seasoning. 

For any foods or leftovers that are/have gone bland, seasoning is all you really need. Stock up on salt, black pepper, garlic powder and anything else you think you may need to kick up the flavoring in your food.

4. Buy prepackaged stir-fry vegetables (yes, this prepackaging is okay). 

It's important to never neglect your daily greens. For a quick and easy way to add a healthy element to your meal, buy prepackaged stir-fry vegetables. All you have to do is put some oil in a skillet and dump in the veggies with whatever seasoning you may prefer! Quick, easy and healthy. 

5. Buy lots of eggs. 

Eggs are a staple and can be used in just about any meal or recipe. Omelettes are a personal favorite of mine and they're super easy to make! You could also pre-cut your fresh veggies and store them away so you could whip them out later when you make your next omelette. 

6. Invest in food containers. 

Making foods in bulk and storing them away for later has been reinforced several times, so it's a no brainer that you should invest in food containers. Not only are they great for storing food, but you could also pack a lunch or snack in them to take around with you on campus. 

While getting good grades are important in college, it's also crucial that you keep up your health as well. Eat healthier and you'll feel healthier and stronger!

Lead Image Credit: Claudia Viloria via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)