Display tim gouw 227623
by Katie Kim

6 Tips on Registering For Classes

By Katie Kim - Oct 29 2017

With a new semester of college just around the corner, most students will have already or will be registering for classes. This is a crucial step of starting college that could just about determine your fate for a whole semester, so it's important to be smart with your scheduling. Here are some great tips and things you should consider when you start registering. 

1. Plan beforehand and be prepared. 

"Write down the classes you're thinking about [taking] ahead of time and write out what the schedule would look like with those classes. Also, make sure that [you] have back-up classes just in case [you] don't get [your] first choice." — Dominique Wright, Occidental College '21

2. Time your schedule right.

"Schedule your classes to a time that you will actually get up and go to them. If you are not an early riser, don't schedule for any class before 10 a.m. and if you don't like walking in the dark to the class, don't schedule any pass 6 p.m. Of course, you will be taking classes for your major, but for the classes that are required by your school, take them at the time that is best for you." — Destiny, Bradley University '20

3. Keep your cool. 

"Try to stay calm. Choosing classes in person is incredibly stressful, but you'll need to keep your head in order to get the best possible combination of courses. [Also], it is vital to try and choose classes that are close together in time and to look up or ask about good professors beforehand." — Samantha Politano, Florida State University '21

4. Put your health above all. 

"Remember that while classes are important, so is your health! Only schedule as much as you think you can handle. You can always take summer classes to make up what you didn't do in the fall/spring!" — Gabby Shaulis, University of Pittsburgh '20

5. Make sure you're putting your focus in the right places. 

"Get your school's class requirements out of the way ASAP and make sure those classes actually will give you those requirement credits. A lot of first years like to take an adventure and try out subjects that they have never tried before...It's usually a big hit or miss (mostly misses). I would consider taking classes that will put you at a good GPA standing from the start so you don't have to suffer (like me) later on." — Arah Kang, Bowdoin College '18

6. Don't think high school is the same as college. 

"[For example], don't schedule 8 a.m. classes. Most students think 8 a.m.'s will be easy since they woke up even earlier for high school, but the environment and the fact that you're the only one responsible for getting to class makes it much harder to make an 8 a.m." -John Yeo, Georgia State University '20

With these tips, hopefully your journey of registering for classes will be smooth and stress-free. Good luck! 

Lead Image Credit: Tim Gouw via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)