by Katie Kim

6 Things That Are Normal To Do in College but Not in High School

By Katie Kim - Jan 25 2017

College is, without a doubt, a completely different world from high school. It brings about great change not only in our surroundings, but also in our lifestyles and personalities. These are some of the things that we find normal to do in college that we never imagined doing in high school. 

1. Being Okay With Not Going Out

In high school, the last thing that we wanted to do was skip out on a hangout (mainly because FOMO — fear of missing out). However, in college, you quickly discover that you're okay with not going out every once in a while (and probably prefer not to) in order to save some extra cash that you could use on other necessities. 

2. Sitting In The Front Of Class

In a lecture class filled with 100+ students, you'll actually want to sit in the front row in order to actually hear your professor. In high school, all everyone wanted was to sit in the back so they could browse their social media accounts on their cellphones. 

3. Going To Class Everyday

If you thought missing a day of class in high school was bad, then you have yet to experience what missing school is like in college. In college, missing one class means potentially failing the exam. 

4. Having Sleepovers On Weekdays

Sleepovers are a thing of the past until you get to college. While in high school sleepovers never happened, in college, sleepovers are pretty common among friends — especially if one of your friends needs to leave the room because he/she has problems with his/her roommate. 

5. Stress Eating All The Time

Stress eating in college is a curse. It also often happens extremely late at night. Whereas in high school you would most likely be asleep by 2 AM, in college, that's the prime time to make some Ramen. 

6. ACTUALLY Being Broke

In high school, everyone jokes about not having money even though they have a good $50 in their wallet. In college, having $50 is considered a blessing. Usually, college students will only have about $10. 

Despite the differences, college and high school are both unique in their own ways and everyone will come to love each experience. 

Lead Image Credit: Roman Mager via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)