Display clem onojeghuo 210707
by Katie Kim

6 Benefits Of Working In College

By Katie Kim - Mar 11 2017

Most students will often start looking into part-time or work-study jobs at one point or another in his/her college career. While the extra money is definitely a benefit from working and often times the main reason that college students choose to have a job while at school, there are a lot more benefits that come out of working that you may not know about or haven't taken into consideration. Here are some of them. 

1. You'll meet more people and make more friends.

More often than not, we find ourselves cooped up in our rooms when we don't have classes or plans. By having work to force you to get out of your room more often, you'll actually experience a boost in your social life because you'll constantly be mingling with other students and faculty.

2. You'll gain a stronger sense of independence.  

While a part-time job might not really be a great source of income, you'll still be able to pay for more things on your own with out having to ask your parents for help. After all those years of being dependent on parents for money, you'll finally get the satisfaction of buying that new shirt or going out for dinner without having to make that interaction. 

3. You'll have experience. 

Nothing looks better on a job application or résumé than experience. Being able to demonstrate that you've worked before and already have a good idea of how jobs go will only help you when you start looking for an actual job in the future. 

4. You'll develop crucial skills.

Both money and time management are crucial skills to have for the future. By working and receiving a paycheck, you'll start to realize just how valuable your money is because you've worked your butt off for it. In addition, you'll learn how to balancing work with academics by using time more effectively and creating your own schedule that works best for you. 

5. You won't have to worry (as much) about debt. 

It's no lie when people say that college is expensive. Not being able to splurge occasionally is one thing, but not being able to buy textbooks because they're just too expensive or having to skip meals because you don't have an extra dollar is a whole different kind of broke-ness. Having a job will put your mind at ease because you'll have a steady flow of cash coming in (even if it may not be that much). 

6. You'll be busy all the time.  

Although staying busy may not be everyone's cup of tea, one thing is for sure — with a job, you'll never really be bored. Jobs also help you feel just a little more productive. Who doesn't like a little extra money when you have the time? 

On-campus (or off-campus) jobs can be great. While they may be tiring, they'll be well worth it in the future. And if one job isn't right for you, you can always find another one. 

Lead Image Credit: Clem Onojeghuo via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)