Display 150726 news high school musical
by Katie Kim

10 Reasons Why High School Musical is a Lie

By Katie Kim - May 11 2016

Everyone has grown up watching High School Musical with high hopes for their own entrance as freshmen in high school. Maybe it was the singing or the love story or the unusually attractive actors who set the bar way too high for actual high school students, but we eventually created our own fantasies about what our high school years would be like. While the three movies definitely taught us a thing or two about true friendship and following our dreams, it is impossible to ignore the fact that they were, in no way, accurate representations of the true high school lifestyle. If you're still in denial that your life isn't like the movie, keep reading for 10 reasons why High School Musical is a lie.

1. There is no countdown to summer break. 

Chances are, students are still desperately trying to finish their final exams or are sleeping, clearly "done with life."

2. When the last bell does ring, no one lingers to participate in a flash mob where everyone seems to already magically know all the dance moves. 

In fact, you'll just find everyone frantically running to their cars instead to beat the buses. 

3. There is no singing. That is, unless you're in your school's drama program. 

Huge respect for all those talented souls, though. 

4. There is no real Troy Bolton in real life in our real schools. 

But really though, why DID the movie have to create such an attractive character only to leave us feeling hopeless? At least he can live on in our dreams, right? 

5. There is no beautiful rooftop garden.

Remember that one song and dance choreography that every girl swooned over? Yeah, you know. THAT one. 

6. The Wildcats are nothing like actual school basketball teams. Real teams don't choreograph dance routines. 

We leave that to the cheerleaders who actually know what they are doing. 

7. Drama class and basketball hardly consume most of the school day. 

Language arts is important. And social studies. And math. 

8. Relationships are not easy as the song lyrics say. 

Chances are, 4 in 5 couples will no longer be couples after senior year. But no worries, that doesn't mean that long distance relationships are completely impossible. #relationshipgoals

9. Prom is not actually that fabulous. 

In fact, it's really just a lot of sweaty bodies in one tight space. And with horrible music. 

10. If HSM got anything right, it's that graduation really is a bittersweet moment (This is for all of you who are still holding onto that small grain of hope that high school can really be like the movies). 

Here's to more memories to come in college!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! 

Lead Image Credit: Disney

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)