Display mantas hesthaven 135478
by Katie Kim

10 Necessities to Always Pack on Trips

By Katie Kim - Jun 13 2017

With summer break underway, many students are finally getting the opportunity to relax and go on much-needed trips with friends and family. However, with traveling comes packing, a daunting task that no one looks forward to. To make things easier for the next time that you have to pack, here's a list of things that college students agreed were most important that you should never forget to take on trips. 

1. Shampoo and Body Wash

While most hotels will definitely provide you with complimentary shampoo and body wash, often times they aren't of great quality or of great quantity. Be sure to pack your own travel sized shampoo and body wash just in case — better safe than sorry!

2. Sunscreen

If you're traveling to an especially hot/sunny country or state, you won't want to forget your sunscreen. Pack it and use it. Your non-red, non-burnt skin will thank you later.

3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste

Dental hygiene is, of course, key! Be sure to have a toothbrush and travel-sized toothpaste around with you (and floss because no one wants food stuck in their teeth). 

4. Retainer

Speaking about teeth, I highly emphasize this one if you use one on a regular basis. I once forgot my retainer and faced the consequences when I tried to put it back in after a week and a half of not having it. 

5. A Light Jacket

Besides packing the usual shirts and shorts, make sure to also take a light jacket with you. Some areas may have extreme differences in temperature from day to night. A light jacket is always nice to have in case you get met with light breezes that can cause chills. 

6. Something For Fun

This can include a book that you're currently trying to finish, some playing cards or just about anything else for entertainment. While going on trips is very exciting and there will be much to do, there will still be some times where you may catch yourself being bored. Playing cards are great for those days where you just want to stay in for a day and have some quality times with friends or family. 

7. Medicine

While I sincerely hope that no one gets sick or feels unwell on a trip, it is definitely possible to catch any sort of illness, especially when you're in an environment that is different from what you're used to. Be sure to come prepared so you won't have to make an unexpected visit to the pharmacy and take away from the time you should be spending doing something more fun. 

8. Earbuds/Headphones

Music is essential no matter where you go. Be sure to pack your favorite pair of earbuds or headphones so you can listen to music on your phone on-the-go. 

9. Cash

In a world where we seem to only carry around our debit/credit cards, it's necessary to mention this. Some places may only allow cash payment and in order to avoid having to pay extra fees at the ATM to withdraw money, you should always be sure to carry some cash around (and loose change). This comes in handy when paying tips as well. 

10. More Than One Pair of Shoes

If you're going to be on an extended trip, you're going to want more than one pair of shoes. Take the ones you have on your feet, but also be sure to pack one or two more pairs as well. It's also good to have a variety for different occasions that may occur — comfortable sneakers and sandals are essential! 

While there are definitely more things that you should bring along with you on your next trip, these are some of the essentials for both short and long trips. Pack smart, travel smart and have a great time!

Lead Image Credit: Mantas Hesthaven via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)