Display qyvm0zxdkye nik macmillan  1
by Katie Kim

10 Common Mistakes That All College Freshmen Make

By Katie Kim - Feb 11 2017

College is unlike any other experience that anyone will have in his/her lifetime, so it's a no brainer that all freshmen entering this new and exciting time of their lives have a thing or two to learn (sometimes the hard way). Here are common mistakes that all college freshmen make. 

1. Forgetting About Your Laundry

Making sure to always start your laundry is an effort in itself, but remembering that you have laundry waiting is a never ending struggle. Most college freshmen will quickly learn that if they forget their laundry, they'll most likely find their clothes strewed all across the floor from the next person who was fed up with waiting for an open spot. Remember: phone timers are great!

2. Locking Yourself Out Of Your Dorm

Most students enter college without having the habit of always carrying keys around with them wherever they go. Rushing to class and closing the door behind you, only to realize later that you forgot your keys that were on the desk, is one of the most annoying feelings ever. 

3. Spending Too Much Money

In high school, being broke didn't really mean "being broke." In college, you realize that it really is possible for you to only have $8.00 in your bank account. You'll start to wonder why you ever bought that shirt for $30 and that late night pizza for $15. 

4. Forgetting About Your Meal Plan

Remember all that money your parents spent on getting you a meal plan? It's probably best that you don't spend extra money on other foods when you could be making the most out of your money at your dining hall. Of course, satisfying your cravings for other foods every once in a while isn't at all bad (until you actually have no money). 

5. Drinking Too Much

College freshmen can be divided up by how they choose to take advantage of the new freedom that they have. Often times, freshmen get a little too excited about the idea of being able to party without a curfew and without feeling constantly watched by their parents. Throwing up or blacking out after drinking too much is never a fun time so it's important to always pace yourself and find what your own limit is. 

6. Choosing An 8 AM Class

You could wake up at 7 AM everyday and survive through a full 7-8 hours of classes during high school so an 8 AM class shouldn't be too bad, right? This is honestly one of the worst assumptions that a college freshman could ever make. Once you realize that everyone else is still sleeping while you're having to wake up to an alarm, you'll start to wonder why you ever thought it was okay to plan your schedule this way. 

7. Dressing Up For Class

You're in a new environment and surrounded by new people so it's normal to want to look good and make good first impressions on everyone. There's nothing wrong with looking nice every once in a while, but you'll soon discover that dressing up everyday gets old real fast. While you're in your cute skirt and blouse, everyone else will be comfy in their sweats and free school t-shirts. 

8. Letting Your Parents Follow You on Snapchat 

It might've been okay to add your parents on Snapchat back in high school, but in college, it's a whole different story. It's inevitable that you might post some less-than-flattering pictures or videos of yourself (without remembering that you did because you were too drunk). 

9. Thinking You'll Actually Use All That Room Decor

When people say that dorms are small, trust me. They aren't lying. You'll want to buy all that cute furniture from IKEA to make your room "goals," but you'll also quickly realize that all of those cute decorations will stay in the box and in the very back of your closet. 

10. Thinking You'll Be Best Friends With Your Roommate

Living with a roommate everyday can lead college freshmen to think that they'll be super close with their roommate and be like sisters. In reality, you'll probably only see your roommate 3-4 hours a day (if you're lucky) or you might be better off not getting close to your roommate in the first place. 

With everything comes a new lesson learned. Here's to even more mistakes down the road (and hopefully improvements). Freshmen, good luck. 

Lead Image Credit: Nik MacMillan via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram @kt.j.kim where she shares some of her happiest moments :)