Display paykyb 8er8 ian schneider
by Katie Kim

10 Common College Student's New Year's Resolutions That You Likely Won't Keep

By Katie Kim - Dec 18 2016

Ah, New Year's resolutions. Everyone is aware of the tradition of writing down all our hopes, dreams and things we want to change for the new year (and how different expectations and the reality are). A new year means a fresh start and hopefully a better year than the one before it — or at least we think that's what it means. In reality, we are all way too familiar with promising to stick to resolutions when, deep down, we all know that they will be broken within the first week of January. Here are 10 New Year's Resolutions that all college students have (and most likely won't keep). 

1. Get better grades.

It honestly doesn't get more basic than this. Grades are important in college. In fact, they pretty much determine a large part of your future for the most part. No college student wants to fail any of their classes. The thing is, getting better grades is always easier said than done. 

2. Avoid the Freshman 15. 

If you were able to avoid Freshman 15 first semester, then kudos to you. Don't get too comfortable yet, though. There's still a whole semester left and anything can happen. 

3. Exercise. 

I laugh at this one because I remember promising myself that I would always hit the school's gym at least once a week. In reality, I only went twice during my first semester of college (and one of those times was to weigh myself but I couldn't find the weight scale so I just left). 

4. Eat healthier. 

Eating healthy is great, but it's really hard to stick to vegetable and fruits when you have fresh french fries sitting right in front of you, staring into your soul and calling out your name.

5. Make new friends.

This one might actually be one of the easier goals to accomplish, but it also involves putting yourself out there more often and going out of your way to act social. If you're not a social butterfly, you might be more tempted to just stay in your room instead. 

6. Be nicer.

Being around people 24/7 can be exhausting and can even take a toll on your attitude towards people. It isn't a lie when people say that college changes you — sometimes in a more cynical, pessimistic way. We all want to be nice and bubbly, but can we really do that when we are preoccupied by the fact that we have five tests in one week and we're running on two hours of sleep?

7. Be organized.

With no parents or family to hold our hands as we walk through college, life can get a little messy. Our rooms are a mess, our grades are a mess and our thoughts are a mess. But hey, a little mess can't hurt right?

8. Explore campus more.

We all secretly want to be that adventurous person who knows the campus on the back of their hand. However, if you think back to first semester and how little time you had for anything, you'll probably be thinking twice. 

9. Be more involved.

Clubs? School events? It all seems like fun and all, but what about those seven classes you registered for? Nah, surely you can still make time (or can you?). 

10. Be happier. 

Let's face it. College is scary and new, and often times this could lead to more negative emotions. However, if anything, this is the one resolution that everyone should work on!

Whether or not you end up sticking to your resolutions, be sure to make the best out of the new year! Hardships, failures and successes will always remain with every year so just keep doing what you've been doing because it's brought you this far! 

Goodbye 2016, hello 2017!

Lead Image Credit: Ian Schneider via Unsplash

Katie Kim - University of Georgia

Katie Kim is a junior editor for Fresh U. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Georgia majoring in Journalism. She loves candy (particularly Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish) and loves to sing and dance (even though she is not good at either of those activities). Follow her on Instagram where she shares some of her happiest moments :)