by Katie Czerwinski

This College Student's Cat Went Viral For Its Clever Water-Drinking Tactic

By Katie Czerwinski - Feb 09 2017

Jenna Stoyanov always asks her mom to send pictures of her cat, Milo, while she’s away at college, but she never expected what she saw in the most recent picture.

Jenna, a sophomore at University of Texas at Austin, told Fresh U over Twitter direct message that Milo isn’t normally this adventurous.

“Milo has never done anything like that before and honestly I didn’t think he was smart enough,” Jenna said. “We were able to train my other cat, Foster, how to do many tricks on command, but Milo was never interested in learning anything. I guess he only likes to be clever on his own terms.”

Jenna’s mom was amused by the situation, but she made sure Milo didn’t make a habit out of drinking from the fridge.

“He is a very determined kitten and doesn’t take no for an answer regarding anything,” Jenna’s mom said of Milo. “He drank all that was in his bowl, so we figure he decided to help himself. He jumped from the ground and we didn't see him do it...I just happened to have my phone in my hand, and took the picture before I yelled at him to get down.”

Once Milo figured out how to drink from the fridge, Jenna had to turn off her Twitter notifications because of how many people responded. Their reactions were primarily positive and some featured similar stories about their own pets, but others criticized how unsanitary it was for a cat to drink from the fridge.

“He got in trouble, and hopefully he won’t do it again,” Jenna said. “That being said, he’ll probably keep trying until my mom gives up and turns the child lock on.”

For now, Milo is occupying himself with hair ties as an alternate to drinking from the fridge.

Jenna said she’s happy with how people have reacted to Milo.

“A lot of people have DM’d me saying how much they love my cat, or sent me pictures of their own cat,” she said. “…I’m just happy that Milo has been able to make people smile.”

Lead Image Credit: Twitter

Katie Czerwinski - Syracuse University

Katie Czerwinski is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine with a minor in psychology. She is obsessed with pineapples, long naps, and cooking shows. Follow her on Instagram @katie.czerwinski or on Twitter @katieczerwinski