by Katie Czerwinski

Chaos Erupts as Dozens of Syracuse Students Hit 'Reply All' to Listserv Email

By Katie Czerwinski - Jul 19 2017

Ever find yourself stuck in a group chat you never asked to be part of? Multiply that by approximately 50 emails (and counting) and you'll find yourself in the shoes of hundreds of Syracuse University students this afternoon.

It all began with a simple reminder to students to apply for parking permits for the upcoming semester. That was followed by a handful of emails setting up meetings and canceling them — the problem? They were sent to the entire listserv.

And SU students lost. Their. Minds.

The chain of emails began with a few frustrated students who couldn't imagine why they, as recent graduates, were receiving these emails. More students hopped on the "reply all" bandwagon, thus beginning what is being dubbed the #SUemailcrisis.

With approximately 50 emails to the entire listserv in less than three hours, SU students (as well as alumni, who were also receiving the emails) have been understandably bitter.

A select few students realized all the chaos could have been avoided by replying to sender instead of hitting "reply all," as many students had been doing.

Let's hope that we all learn one lesson in the upcoming semester: How to unsubscribe from a listserv.

Lead image credit: Twitter

Katie Czerwinski - Syracuse University

Katie Czerwinski is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine with a minor in psychology. She is obsessed with pineapples, long naps, and cooking shows. Follow her on Instagram @katie.czerwinski or on Twitter @katieczerwinski