by Katie Czerwinski

This High School Student Made A Powerful Statement With His T-Shirt

By Katie Czerwinski - Jan 06 2017

In today’s political atmosphere, young people have taken to social media to share their beliefs on social justice issues. Aaron Tamez, a senior at Mayde Creek High School, made his own statement loud and clear – through fashion.

In a recent tweet, Aaron is pictured in a shirt that reads, “Why be racist, sexist, homophobic, or transphobic when you could just be quiet?” The tweet has gotten over 13,000 retweets and 22,000 likes in just 12 hours.

Aaron told Fresh U over Twitter direct message that the shirt was more than just “a look” to him.

“I thought it spoke to me because being a homosexual teenager is shocking to hateful people who don’t support gay rights or anything that has to do with the LGBTQ community,” Aaron said.

After wearing the shirt to school, Aaron said he has had mostly positive feedback.

“Now everyone wants to buy it, so I feel like a trend starter," Aaron said.

Twitter users have had similar reactions to Aaron’s classmates, most of them asking where to find the shirt, which can be purchased on Etsy.

Aaron never expected his tweet to go viral. In fact, he only hoped for 30 retweets. Now that his tweet has gotten so much attention, people at school ask for pictures with Aaron, calling him “famous.”

The experience has been about more than just becoming viral, according to Aaron. He said the positive reception has given him hope in today’s political atmosphere, especially in regards to racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia.

“When people see this shirt, I hope they wear it proudly,” Aaron said. “[I hope it] gives them confidence in themselves to speak out when they see bullying being done around them or even to them.”

Update 1/7/17 

It was brought to Fresh U's attention after publishing that this phrase was originally tweeted by Twitter user @yikesbrandon on August 8, 2015.

Lead Image Credit: Twitter 

Katie Czerwinski - Syracuse University

Katie Czerwinski is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine with a minor in psychology. She is obsessed with pineapples, long naps, and cooking shows. Follow her on Instagram @katie.czerwinski or on Twitter @katieczerwinski