Display ras
by Katie Czerwinski

6 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were RAs in College

By Katie Czerwinski - Jun 13 2017

Incoming college students are often warned about a few things: roommate horror stories, awful dining hall food and, of course, the RAs. RAs go by many names at different schools, from resident advisors to resident assistants. Their main role is to provide support for their residents and make sure dorm life is running safely and smoothly, which can sometimes interfere with your plans on a Friday night. But not all RAs dedicate to their lives to busting parties and enforcing quiet hours  in fact, some of them have gone on to accomplish pretty great things outside of their dorm.

1. Donald Glover, New York University

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas via Flickr Creative Commons

You might know Donald Glover as Childish Gambino, a "30 Rock" writer, or a cast member of "Community" and "Atlanta." What you might now know is that while completing his degree in dramatic writing at NYU, he was an RA.

2. Hillary Clinton, Wellesley College

United States Mission Geneva via Flickr Creative Commons

Before she was a presidential candidate, secretary of state, New York state senator or first lady, Hillary Clinton lived at Stone-Davis Residence Hall at Wellesley College in Massachusetts. Between studying political science and being the president of the College Government Association, she was also an RA.

3. Adam Sandler, New York University

celebrityabc via Flickr Creative Commons

After he was an RA at NYU, Sandler went on to join the cast of Saturday Night Live and become a household name for his various roles in comedic films like Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. He's even scored a few Emmy, Grammy and Golden Globe nominations.

4. Katie Couric, University of Virginia

Wikimedia Commons

Katie Couric was both an American Studies major and an RA in the 1970s at the University of Virginia. Her career later took off and made her a familiar face on "Today," "CBS Evening News" and her own talk show, "Katie."

5. Kerry Washington, George Washington University

Wikimedia Commons

While on Late Night with Seth Meyers, Kerry Washington revealed she was an RA in a freshman dorm at George Washington University to help pay for her tuition. The "Scandal" star shared her RA philosophy with Meyers: "We don't want to catch you, so if you get caught, you're an idiot, because we're not looking for it at all ... We don't want to do the paperwork."

6. Sheryl Crow, University of Missouri

Kevin Burkett via Flickr Creative Commons

Sheryl Crow is known for songs like "Soak Up the Sun" and "Everyday Is a Winding Road" and has sold over 50 million albums since her time as an RA at the University of Missouri. She balanced RA life with completing her music education degree and performing with a local band, Cashmere.

Next time you think your RA is the worst, just remember that they might be famous someday.

Lead Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Katie Czerwinski - Syracuse University

Katie Czerwinski is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine with a minor in psychology. She is obsessed with pineapples, long naps, and cooking shows. Follow her on Instagram @katie.czerwinski or on Twitter @katieczerwinski