by Katherine Kokeas

4 Pieces of Advice for the Class of 2020

By Katherine Kokeas - Apr 22 2016

By now, I'm sure any college freshman who has lived on campus for a year will tell you they're an expert of collegiate life. But, flashback to just less than a year ago, and we were clueless, nervous, and excited. I mean, how can anyone show up on move-in day with confidence, and the knowledge of exactly what's to come. And here's the answer. You can't. 

To those who are looking forward to college:

Live

I'm sure you've heard hundreds of stories. The horrors of dining hall food. The anticipation of discovering if you will get along with your roommate. The process of getting used to not having to ask to leave a giant lecture hall. But, let me be the first to tell you. College is an experience. And like any experience, it must be lived, and is therefore different for each person. Maybe you will embrace your newfound independence, and I commend you for that. Or perhaps it will take you a little longer to find your "fit" in this new world. Whichever the case may be, just know that there is no "college life". There is no one path you must take to graduation. Join that new club, the one your high school friends would have called "weird". Don't be afraid to abandon your principles, only to find yourself in the end.  

Change

Change more than you ever thought you could. If there ever was a time to take leaps of faith, college is it. Take a class in that subject that always interested you, because it may end up being your major. Take chances. You're young. Don't be too critical of your work, because by doing so you hinder your abilities. Do something you never thought you would. 

Become

Don't become someone your high school self would have never recognized, but rather would have looked up to. Be that mentor you always wanted. Freshman year is one of the most exhilarating times, and make the most of it, because it will be gone in the blink of an eye. 

Have Faith

Don't expect anything, but rather go into college with an open mind. Be ready to learn new lessons. Get hurt. Fall in love. Take chances. Stick up for what you believe in. Because this year will go by far too quickly, and you want to make sure you are truly living each second of it. 

Lead Image Credit: Janelle McCarthy

Katherine Kokeas - Syracuse University

Communications Freshman at Syracuse University.