Display jesus1
by Katharine Tripp

17 Wake Up Calls Any Catholic School Kid Will Be Getting on Their First Day of College

By Katharine Tripp - Jul 03 2016

So you've been in a quaint Catholic school for as long as you can remember. From a five year old with a plaid jumper and pigtails to a senior at *Insert Saint Name* High being told by the nuns that your skirt is too short, your whole life has been led in the direction of the Commandments and morality, but now college is coming. For the first time, you'll be exposed to a variety of new and exciting freedoms with almost no heavenly guidance. It's time to learn a whole new skill set, starting with how to dress yourself. 

1. Picking out a new outfit everyday is something seriously challenging. 

Giphy

You have all the clothes, but you have no idea how to put enough outfits together. Sure, uniforms made you a blob, but they made you a blob that never had to worry about coordination. 

2. But there is no need to pay an absurd amount of money every time you "dress down." 

Giphy

Even though those five dollars are just itching in your pocket. 

3. Each class will NOT be starting with a prayer to be productive that day. 

Giphy

Say that one on your own, you'll probably need it. 

4. Don't worry about your skirt being too short, it's OK! 

Giphy

Teachers really won't say anything, or tell you that God is watching (but you know He is).

5. And for guys, yes, your hair is allowed past your ears! 

Giphy

And mustaches and beards! It's a whole new world of bewhiskered madness!

6. PDA is A-OK. 

Giphy

Yeah, in college it's acceptable to hold hands or even hug someone of the opposite sex! 

7. There will be absolutely no room for the Holy Spirit at any parties.

Instagram

Because the Holy Spirit wasn't invited to that party. 

8. Community service is now for your personal growth and gain, and for helping others. NOT for a grade. 

Giphy

And you won't have to write any reflections on what it meant to you.

9. Yes, you will be singled out on Ash Wednesday when you are the only one in class with an ashy smudge on your forehead. And yes, you will be super self-conscious about it. 

Giphy

But hey, it could just be some super dark bronzer!

10. Every class will be filled with new people! You won't be dealing with the same 30 kids for another 13 years. 

Giphy

For the first time you won't know your classmates' views on everything, and class will be more interesting for it.

11. Professors will still try to push their political views on you, but they'll probably be the complete opposite of your teachers' views in Catholic school.

Giphy

College professors tend to be more liberal. 

12. Plaid is considered "cute" to the general public, not a vicious chamber where individual creative expression goes to die, like you saw it for the past 13 years. 

Giphy

Not the Ghost of Tartan Past anymore, not for you. 

13. Most people don't write in cursive. In fact, many people don't even know cursive!

Giphy

So you'll shine like the star you truly are. 

14. No undershirts, belts or tuck-ins...oh my! 

Giphy

No more triple detentions for you, and a fourth on the way for the gum you're chewing.

15. Your severe lack of sex-ed might come back to bite you.

Giphy

"ABSTINENCE IS THE ONLY EFFECTIVE MEANS OF CONTRACEPTION" but Mrs. Ad- "THAT IS ALL. DISMISSED." 

16. Your "drinking" at mass did not in any way prepare you for drinking in college. 

Giphy

Sure you've been practicing since you were seven, but that doesn't make you ready for the big leagues.

17. AND YOU CAN WEAR ANY COLOR SOCK YOUR LITTLE HEART DESIRES.

Giphy

Though Catholic school may not have prepared you for all of the social aspects college has to offer, it probably helped you get ready for the workload, following orders and self-discipline needed to succeed in higher education. You are who you are because of the place you come from, and though there's a stereotype that comes with Catholic school kids, you wouldn't want to be anyone else. So no stress, no worries and have the time of your life in college!

(But not too much fun. Remember: He's watching).

The article has ended. Go in peace. 

Lead Image Credit: Lionsgate Television

Katharine Tripp - University of Virginia

Katharine is a freshman at the University of Virginia. She loves horses, paddle boards, and roller coasters. She hopes to major in English or Journalism, and loves to read and write in her spare time. Follow her on insta @katie_trippie !!