Display flags
by Kate Brennan

My First Political Rally: A Trump Rally

By Kate Brennan - Dec 13 2015

Call me a bigot, call me an idiot, in fact, call me whatever you want. But I recently attended a Donald Trump campaign rally and I really enjoyed it.

First off, let me establish the fact that I do not absolutely loathe Donald Trump like most of the populous does; he’s a smart, driven man who’s created a very luxurious and successful life for himself, and you have to admire that no matter where you stand on the political spectrum.

On Friday, December 4, my roommate and I learned that Donald Trump was coming to our area, so we reserved tickets and drove thirty minutes to the stadium where the rally was being held.

As soon as we entered the venue, I was overwhelmed with a sense of community and passion. Everyone around us was holding ‘Make America Great Again’ signs and chatting it up with random strangers about Trump, their lives, and most importantly, their common political beliefs. It’s captivating to be in a room full of like-minded people who are all happy and excited about a cause. And that was the mood of the entire night: everyone was happy with life and with each other, because every person in that venue was there for one purpose: to support Donald Trump.

That’s the amazing thing about politics: as much as it divides the country, it also brings people together in the best of ways. In light of all the recent terrorism and evil occurrences happening around the world, it was refreshing and inspiring to be in a room full of people who got along with one another and all shared one common goal.

Once Trump entered the stage, the crowd went wild. People were cheering, clapping, and were overall glowing with excitement. When they started the Q&A portion of the night, people asked Trump questions with tears streaming down their faces, thanking him for giving the people hope and something to hold on to.

That’s what really touched me.

It doesn’t have to be Donald Trump, or any Republican candidate for that matter, but candidates—and especially elections—give people hope; hope for the future, hope for their children, and hope for our world. The American people invest all of their time and energy into these political candidates in hopes of change, or in hopes of anything that can make the world a better place for future generations. These candidates represent the opportunities we, as a country, have to make the world a better place and to better our lives. They represent the opportunity to live a life we can be proud of. They represent all of the positive things that our country, and planet, can become. Best of all, they represent all of the good we, as humans, can do. In a world full of terrible things, these candidates can be the beacon of hope for a greater life.

Sometimes, a political candidate is more to someone than just a person—it’s a symbol of what’s to come.

Lead image credit: Georgia Institute of Technology

Kate Brennan - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Kate is a freshman at UNC Chapel Hill and is planning on majoring in journalism. She is an avid chocolate eater and spends most of her time either at the beach or in the ocean. You can follow her on Instagram @katebrennn.