by Kat Roth

UC Davis Milo Yiannopoulos Protest: The Aftermath

By Kat Roth - Jan 18 2017

Students returning to classes at UC Davis were met with a few reminders of the Milo Yiannopoulos protest which transpired only three days prior. Since the protest, there have been many debates over the protest and free speech. This discourse seemed to die down over the three-day Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, but the campus still contained a few reminders of the recent events once school commenced on Tuesday. 

The protest and event were held outside the Science Lecture Hall, one of the largest lecture halls on the UC Davis campus. Those who rode up to their lectures there on Tuesday, January 17, could see a couple remaining fliers trodden among the bike racks. The pillars outside the halls contained various graffiti, including a heart surrounding the word "Milo". This wall graffiti was removed by maintenance men at around 1:00 P.M. 

Katerina Roth

The floor in front of the Lecture hall was covered with chalk graffiti. The graffiti said things like, "Free Speech Markets People", "Commies Aren't Cool", and "Socialism Sucks". There were multiple tags of "#FreeMilo" and a large patch that said "Feminism is Cancer". Some of the graffiti seemed to be layered over older, more illegible graffiti. Students walking out of class could be seen taking pictures of parts of the graffiti and sometimes scuffing out the words with their shoes. 

Katerina Roth
Katerina Roth
Katerina Roth
Katerina Roth

Once inside the lecture hall, a cluster of balloons tied to a large sign which said something to the extent of "Presenting: Fascism" was found floating high up at the top of the ceiling. The hundreds if not thousands of students using that lecture hall on Tuesday all had that little reminder of the recent protests literally hanging above their heads.

Katerina Roth
Katerina Roth

At this time, there is no information about who is responsible for the instances of graffiti or who put the banner and balloons in the lecture hall. 

Lead image: Katerina Roth

Kat Roth -

Kat goes to UC Davis and studies Food Science.