by Kat Roth

Students from Donald Trump's Alma Mater Denounce his Campaign

By Kat Roth - Jul 13 2016

Donald Trump, the presumptive republican presidential candidate, has often flaunted his degree from the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania. He has asserted in a speech, “I went to the Wharton School of Business … I’m, like, a really smart person."

Trump graduated from Wharton with a bachelor's degree in economics in 1968 after transferring from Fordham University.

While Trump has expressed pride in his alma mater, the students attending Wharton do not seem to be happy with this alumnus. Students from Wharton have issued an open letter to Trump denouncing many of his often-bigoted policies.

“We … are outraged that an affiliation with our school is being used to legitimize prejudice and intolerance. Although we do not aim to make any political endorsements with this letter, we do express our unequivocal stance against the xenophobia, sexism, racism, and other forms of bigotry that you have actively and implicitly endorsed in your campaign.”

As of July 11, 2016, there are almost 3,000 signatures from students, faculty and supporters on the letter.

The students criticize Trump’s policies as being not only unethical, but detrimental for business. “Your insistence on exclusion and scapegoating would be bad for business and bad for the American economy. An intolerant America is a less productive, less innovative, and less competitive America.”

This letter is written and signed by Wharton students, but the school itself has not released any statements about Trump’s campaign.

Lead Image: Gage Skidmore

Kat Roth -

Kat goes to UC Davis and studies Food Science.