Display hogwarts
by Kat Roth

9 Ways Going To College is Like Going To Hogwarts

By Kat Roth - Jul 11 2016
Going to college is unlike anything we've done before. With the unknown comes opportunity for reinvention and unique experiences. If, like me, your long-awaited Hogwarts letter never arrived, college may just be the Hogwarts we have been waiting for! There are several similarities which all ensure a magical (sorry, I had to) experience.

1.  Receiving your acceptance letter.

Sure, maybe that letter didn’t come via owl, but getting an email or finally receiving your physical packet still feels pretty sweet. This is the start to the rest of your life!

2. Buying textbooks and school supplies.

College is probably the first time you have to buy your own textbooks and major supplies (too bad we don’t have a vault full of gold in Gringotts like Harry Potter does). You will need to find the best stores to patron, even if they aren’t as exciting Flourish and Blotts.

3. Living away from your parents or guardians. 

Maybe you’ll be leaving the cozy and loving home of the Weasleys or escaping the control of the Dursleys--either way, you’ll be living alone for the first time. This means you have the freedom to do (almost) anything you want, but also forces you into a role of much more responsibility. Just try not to wander into the Forbidden Forest anytime soon…

4. Feeling unsure.

When Harry Potter first got to Hogwarts, he was riddled with insecurities. Was he really meant to be here? Would be be behind all the other students who knew so much more about the wizarding world? Like Harry, you are also entering unknown territory. You may be afraid of failure because this college system is so different from what you knew before. Don’t worry, Harry found himself right at home in no time and you will too.

5. Learning about what you are really interested in.

In college, you will be able to dictate the classes you take more than you could in high school. More specific classes like Animal Science or Criminology could become favorites like Care of Magical Creatures and Defense Against the Dark Arts did for the students of Hogwarts.

6. Seeking alternative modes of transportation.

In high school, you may have had the luxury of driving your own car or being chauffeured around by your parents. This all stops in college. Most likely, you won’t be able to have a car on campus for the first year or two, so you’ll be forced to rely on the school’s bus system, bikes or mooching off upperclassmen. These are not nearly as fun as zooming around on a broomstick, but the new kinds of transportation you will be exposed to mirrors that of the the change Harry Potter experienced during his time at Hogwarts. Hopefully, your transportation will be a little more reliable than floo powder or flying cars.

7. Relishing the holidays.

Being away from family and friends for most of the year makes holidays together a little more, well, magical. The holidays will also be a much-needed break from all the studying and stress of college. In Hogwarts, Christmas break marked an important time in the school year to relax and be festive. Harry Potter experienced more love than he had ever before in the form of gifts and hand-knit sweaters. This time for good food and merriment will feel more special than ever.

8. Making new friends you would have never found otherwise.

Your social circle will no longer be limited to the people from your hometown. College allows people from around the country and the world to come together in a hub of diversity. This diversity allowed Harry Potter to have real friends for the first time in his life. Maybe you’ll even make a squad as devoted as Harry, Ron and Hermione.

9. Finding yourself.

Before going to Hogwarts, Harry Potter felt like a nobody. His life was crummy, he had no friends and he lived in a cupboard beneath the stairs. However, he truly blossomed once reaching Hogwarts and soon, Hogwarts was more of a home than he had ever experienced. Like Hogwarts, college will provide countless opportunities to discover new things about yourself and will allow you to be whoever you want to be. 

Now, with all this in mind, go off and have the best four years ever! Harry Potter loved his time in Hogwarts (minus, ya know, all that Voldemort business...) and you will too. Good luck!

Lead Image Credit: Warner Bros.

Kat Roth -

Kat goes to UC Davis and studies Food Science.