Display donkeyhotey
by Karly Matthews

What You Need to Know About the 2016 Election

By Karly Matthews - Nov 09 2016

Holding our breath, we watched the election results unfold last night and early this morning. Because election procedures are so complicated, it can be hard to put all the pieces together: who won which demographics, what's the difference between the popular vote and Electoral college, which states swung the election?

Trump performed extremely well with white people who do not have college degrees as well as white women, who he won over Clinton 53 to 43 percent. White women with a college degree voted in favor of Clinton more often. On the other hand, Clinton won the African American vote by an enormous margin: 88 to 8 percent. The contrast is even more extreme when African American women are considered, but still not as many as the Obama candidacy received

It was unclear before yesterday whether or not Republicans would consistently support their presidential nominee, but GOP affiliates voted for Trump overwhelmingly with 89 percent of their votes in his favor. Likewise, Clinton won a huge margin of Democratic voters.

To see Trump's victory in maps, visit BBC's coverage here.

Popular Vote Versus the Electoral College

As Fresh U previously covered, there have been complaints about the Electoral College for years especially after the bitter debate of the 2000 presidential election results. Without a doubt, that debate will be reignited with this election because Clinton won the popular vote while Trump took a majority of votes in the Electoral College, which is superior in our current system.

Clinton won the popular vote with 59,408,297 against Trump's 59,221,749 votes. With this margin, many Americans are questioning the system because more American people voted for a candidate who has lost the election.

Crucial Swing States

Because of the Electoral College, not only are votes important but location of votes is critical too. Swing states - Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Virginia Ohio among others - are always the places to watch in elections. 

These states do not always run red or blue in elections, so candidates spend more time in these locations to win over the electorate. Yesterday, Trump won Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan. Conversely, Clinton won Virginia, Colorado, Nevada and New Hampshire. 

For more information about the results of the 2016 election, Google has created an interesting and comprehensive platform to understand the breakdown of states and votes. As well, keep an eye on 270towin, which is not yet completed, for information regarding the election and results.

Lead Image Credit: DonkeyHotey via Flickr Creative Commons

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!