Display 25858555481 a0dc61d654 o
by Karly Matthews

Weekly Political Round-Up: The President Elect, Reactions Worldwide & the Future

By Karly Matthews - Nov 11 2016

On November 8, 2016, Donald J. Trump was elected to be the 45th president of the United States of America. Polls and predictions all around the country were wrong and led to a shocking victory for the GOP candidate. Since major news outlets called the race early Wednesday morning, American politics have been reeling.

1. Donald J. Trump is the president-elect.

Even though Democrat Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, on December 19, the Electoral College will elect Trump with over 270 votes in his favor. Trump clinched important state victories including those of Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Arizona in order to secure the crucial electoral votes. Now that his campaign is over, Trump still has a long way to go in the next two months before he officially takes office.

2. Hillary Clinton publicly concedes in a speech to her supporters on Wednesday.

After officially conceding to Trump via phone call early Wednesday morning, Clinton publicly spoke in New York to her supporters. Clinton remarked, "We owe [Trump] an open mind and a chance to lead" as she stood in the New Yorker Hotel's Grand Ballroom. Her speech was gracious regarding her campaign and supporters, yet she also adamantly repeated that the country must rally around the president-elect.

3. College students across the country react to the election results.

Since Trump's victory, some colleges have seen hate crimes against various groups of people on their campuses. Classes across the country were cancelled on November 9 for many universities although not Barnard, whose administration refused to cancel all classes. Not only that, but college students - and even high school students - have also staged walk-outs and other protests against Trump.

4. Republicans win control of both House and Senate in 2016 elections.

Not only did Trump win the presidency, but in late January when he takes office, he will be greeted by a Republican-Majority House and Senate. Republicans have a one-seat lead in the Senate and a 41-seat lead in the House. Incumbent Senators like Pennsylvania's Pat Toomey, Florida's Marco Rubio and Arizona's John McCain have all won reelection along with the current Speaker of the House Paul Ryan from Wisconsin. 

5. Citizens in major cities protest Trump's victory.

In major cities like Chicago, Philadelphia and others, citizens have taken to the streets for public protests of Trump's status as the president-elect. While Trump at first condemned the protests "media-incited," he also praised the protesters later as "passionate." In his victory speech, Trump cited the need for the country to unify, so with protests happening country-wide, it will be interesting to see how he approaches the issue.

6. The stock market gives an early scare before recovering.

After Trump's win, Wall Street stocks surged even after frightening losses Tuesday night. Because of the election, stock trading was at a level that the world has not seen since the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union in June. This morning, some stocks have fallen as investors figure out what they want their stock-owning to look like under a Trump presidency.

7. Kellyanne Conway is the first woman to run a successful presidential campaign.

Even though the United States did not elect Hillary Clinton as the first woman president on November 8, Kellyanne Conway still made history for American woman. Trump's campaign manager since August became the first American woman to successfully run a campaign for president.

8. President Obama and President-Elect Trump meet in the White House.

On Thursday, President Obama met with Mr. Trump in the Oval Office while First Lady Michelle Obama met with future First Lady Melania Trump. The president, after his speech on Wednesday, entered the meeting with the goal to make Trump's transition smooth, offering his help along the way. After the meeting, both parties seemed to feel some relief; Trump called President Obama "a very good man" and said he looked forward to meeting with him in the future. President Obama remarked that he was "reassured" by Trump's recent tone.

9. Senator Bernie Sanders releases a statement regarding Trump's presidency.

The former presidential candidate released a statement on Wednesday regarding Trump's presidency and the reasons why the Senator believes that his former opponent won the race. While Sanders did say that he was willing to work with Trump on certain issues, he also promised to oppose any bigoted policies the president-elect might pursue.

10. The world reacts to Trump's victory.

Across the world, leaders of foreign governments reacted to the new president-elect in a mostly positive manner. Leaders of Russia, China, the United Kingdom, Venezuela and other countries congratulated Trump on his victory. Iran remained indifferent while Mexican president Peña Nieto acknowledged the election but did not congratulate Trump. For a full breakdown of world leader's reactions to Trump's winning, visit BBC's comprehensive coverage here.

With the future of the country developing as the hours go on, Americans have been on-edge since Tuesday night. Unification at some points seems nearly impossible, yet at other times, there has been hope. Only time will tell what the future holds for the United States of America.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!