Display gage
by Karly Matthews

Weekly Political Round-Up: Taco Trucks, Voter ID & Email Releases

By Karly Matthews - Sep 02 2016

From Trump’s visit to Mexico to the defeat of voter ID requirements in North Carolina to a debate about taco trucks, this week has been a tumultuous one in politics. After all, it’s now September, meaning there are a mere two months until the long-awaited 2016 presidential election.

1. Polls are everywhere.

Speaking of the presidential election, polls are constantly being released, but it’s hard to know which ones to trust. Here’s a guide and some recent polls, almost all of which show Democrat Hillary Clinton leading just by different margins.

2. Republican incumbent Senator Marco Rubio wins nomination.

Florida Senator Marco Rubio ran for president against Donald Trump and other Republican candidates earlier this year, but when he dropped out of the presidential race, he reentered that of the U.S. Senate seat for Florida. This week, he won the GOP nomination and will continue to race against Democrat Patrick Murphy until the November election. This race could very well determine which party controls the Senate in 2017 and beyond.

3. Hillary Clinton's email scandal just will not end.

By now, we all know that Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton used a private email server when she served as Secretary of State under President Obama, and frankly, many people are tired of hearing about them. But, the scandal continues to open up, and according to Reuters, a U.S. judge is requiring the release of any Benghazi or Libya related emails by September 13, obviously before the presidential election. With another possible Clinton Foundation scandal in the works as well, it will be interesting to see how these factors play into - if at all - Clinton's campaign.

4. Collin Kaepernick gets support.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Collin Kaepernick exercised his First Amendment rights during a preseason game by not standing for the National Anthem. Making a statement against violence and discrimination, the quarterback received backlash for "not respecting the flag," yet recently, veterans have come out to support the player. Of course, there are still those who condemn his actions, but Kaepernick has found some allies.

5. Supreme Court strikes down North Carolinian voter ID law.

Voter ID is a controversial topic because some groups believe that it is a discriminatory practice and hurts American minorities. On the other side, opposing groups think laws of the like protect the one person, one vote principle. That said, CNN reported on Wednesday that in a 4-4 split the Supreme Court ruled that North Carolina's requirement of ID for voting should not be reinstated. Therefore, voter ID is no longer required when voting in North Carolina.

6. Trump visits... Mexico.

This week, Trump met with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto to discuss - you guessed it - the wall, among other topics. While both Trump and Nieto seemed to have an otherwise constructive conversation, the payment for said wall still remains a controversy. Even after his visit, Trump tweeted that Mexico would still pay for the construction while Nieto combatted that he never agreed to such measures. Below Nieto says, "At the start of the conversation with Donald Trump, I made it clear that Mexico would not pay for the wall."

7. Texas University students make racy statement.

To combat open carry laws on their campus, Texas University students used an interesting tactic. Students realized it was illegal to carry a dildo on campus but legal to openly carry a firearm, so a rally openly carried dildos and signs with the message, "Cocks not glocks" to combat the policy. Thus far, the open-carry policy has not been changed, but it's obvious these students aren't afraid to make a statement.

8. Brock Turner released early from prison.

After only half of his six month sentence, Brock Turner, the Stanford student found guilty of rape, was released. Now a registered sex offender for life, Turner will be on probation for three years, but the point is that he still only served three out of six months in jail. His actions and punishment have taken the Internet by storm, and after what we witnessed in his case, there are bound to be more laws passed for the punishment of rapists and other sex offenders.

9. "Latinos for Trump" founder makes controversial statements.

Marco Gutierrez, the founder of "Latinos for Trump," put his foot in his mouth during a live interview with MSNBC this week. Saying we have to fear "taco trucks on every corner," Gutierrez cited his culture as "imposing" and "causing problems." Of course, social media couldn't help but combat his words. It was just too easy, and "Taco Trucks on Every Corner" trended on Twitter.

10. The first presidential debate is scheduled.

Lester Holt will be moderating the first presidential debate on September 26 between Democrat Hillary Clinton, Republican Donald Trump and possibly Libertarian Gary Johnson although that looks unlikely. Nevertheless, get out your popcorn because this debate will probably be one for the books.

The world of politics just never stops turning, and there's no reason that college students shouldn't have a say - just like the students at the University of Texas asserted - in the workings of our country.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Wikimedia Commons

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!