Display andreanna moya photography
by Karly Matthews

Weekly Political Round-Up: Leaks, Millennials and Ice Cream Activism

By Karly Matthews - Oct 14 2016

The second presidential debate was this week, yet it certainly wasn't the only event making headlines. Both presidential candidates experienced "leaks," one a tape condoning sexual assault on women and the other negative emails regarding her campaign practices. Other aspects of politics, like activism and even the Supreme Court, made the news this week, too.

1. The Trump Tapes, including a lewd conversation between Trump and Billy Bush, leaked.

A week ago today, a tape emerged - with help of The Washington Post - of Donald Trump and Billy Bush talking about how "stars" can get away with any treatment of women, condoning actions that are considered sexual assault with crude language. Fresh U covered Twitter's response to the leak. In the fall-out of the tape's release, Trump's polling numbers obviously went down and his overall campaign has suffered as major Republican leaders like Speaker Paul Ryan have distanced themselves. The threat of "more tapes" is also looming from "Apprentice" producer Mark Burnett. Billy Bush has been suspended from NBC, and he has hired a lawyer.

2. Ben and Jerry's comes out in support of Black Lives Matter.

Ben and Jerry's is no stranger to the realm of politics; founders openly supported Senator Bernie Sanders in the primaries, and in the past, the company has supported movements like Occupy Wall Street. This week, the ice cream franchise endorsed the Black Lives Matter movement. While this endorsement has generated a lot of love for the creamery, the Blue Lives Matter movement is now at odds with the Vermont-based company.

3. Wikileaks exposes more emails from the Clinton campaign.

This week, Wikileaks published emails leaked from campaign chairman John Podesta's account. Although there hasn't been much media coverage due to the Trump drama this week, some of the emails reveal that Clinton avoids press Q&As and has received some Town Hall questions in advance. Catholics, Southerners and Latinos were also negative subjects in some of the emails.

4. Ruth Bader Ginsburg condemns Colin Kaepernick's actions but does not believe he should be punished.

In an interview with Yahoo News, Justice Ginsburg called Kaepernick's protest of the National Anthem "dumb" and "disrespectful," but she added that he should not be punished. Citing the idea of flag-burning, Ginsburg said "I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act." Kaepernick later responded, saying Ginsburg's comment was "disappointing."

5. The Washington Post endorses Clinton, not just to get around Trump.

While many news outlets have endorsed Clinton over the past month, many - like The Atlantic - said that if Clinton was running against anyone else, the publication would stay out of the race. Yet, when The Washington Post endorsed Clinton this week, the endorsement wasn't a protest against Trump. 

6. The second presidential debate aired Sunday night, giving us memes and headaches.

Even though it would be fun to focus on the "singing" meme the Internet received after the second presidential debate, there are other issues to which college students should pay attention. The debate, a town hall format, took questions from undecided voters in the audience with subjects ranging from Islamophobia to the economy to the candidates' various scandals. The third and final debate is scheduled for next Wednesday, October 19, so stay tuned for Fresh U's coverage of the event.

7. Columbus Day, celebrated on Monday, was a subject of scrutiny.

Although the day Columbus landed in the New World in 1492 has been celebrated over the years, the holiday has of late been under scrutiny due to Columbus's inhumane treatment of the indigenous people he encountered once he landed. In fact, Fresh U covered the movement to change Columbus Day to Indigenous People's Day to honor those people Columbus encountered.

8. President Obama passes a Sexual Assault Bill of Rights.

Obama officially signed a bill of rights for sexual assault victims, which, among other things, gives victims legal access to their rape kits. In the House and the Senate, the bill was passed without opposition in September and was created by a bipartisan group of representatives. According to The Hill, the bill was pushed into action by Amanda Nguyen, a citizen who experienced sexual assault first-hand.

9. Rudy Giuliani "didn't see" Hillary Clinton on 9/11, but pictures say otherwise.

This past week, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani claimed that he "didn't see [Clinton]" on Ground Zero on September 11, 2001. While Clinton was not on the site the day of the attacks because she was in Washington, she arrived the next day. Later, Giuliani apologized for his comments and misunderstanding of Clinton's initial statement about the event.

10. Less than 50% of Millennials will vote this election.

According to Fresh U's initial coverage, only 41% of Millennials were certain that they would vote in this upcoming election compared to 75% of Americans over 30 years of age. Younger demographics not voting is not a new concept, but with such an important election impending, this percentage scares many people.

With the third presidential debate scheduled for Wednesday, there's bound to be more controversy before Election Day in the coming week. Voter registration deadlines are rapidly approaching if they haven't already passed, so make sure you're registered to have a voice this November. 

Lead Image Credit: Andreanna Moya Photography

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!