Display unknown
by Karly Matthews

Weekly Political Round-Up: Kelly v.s. Gingrich, Clinton's Birthday and a Fallen Star

By Karly Matthews - Oct 28 2016

With only 11 days until the presidential election, tensions are high in American politics. From an on-camera squabble between journalist Megyn Kelly and Republican leader Newt Gingrich to the sentencing of former PA attorney general Kathleen Kane, the week has been hectic.

1. Denasia Lawrence kneels during her performance of the National Anthem.

Before a Miami Heat preseason game, National Anthem singer Denasia Lawrence chose to wear a "Black Lives Matter" t-shirt under a blazer and kneel while she sang the National Anthem. In an official statement that she released via Twitter, she explained that in her actions: she wanted to show that she is part of America yet also protesting the injustice happening in the country.

2. California veterans no longer have to return their military bonuses for now.

Last week, the national government called for California Army National Guard soldiers to return cash bonuses they received over a decade ago to fight in either Iraq or Afghanistan. Some soldiers paid the money back - Christopher Van Meter refinanced his home to do so - while others refused. However, on Wednesday, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter suspended this collection for an indefinite amount of time.

3. Governor Mike Pence suffers near-tragedy twice in one week.

Donald Trump's running mate and his family lost their dog of 13 years before later in the week, Pence's plane ran off the runway. While he received bipartisan sympathy regarding both events from the likes of Hillary Clinton, the media was particularly harsh on the governor with headlines like "An October Surprise for Mike Pence's Dog: Death." In the minor plane crash in Indiana, no one was hurt.

4. Hillary Clinton celebrates her 69th birthday on the campaign trail.

On October 26, the Democratic presidential nominee celebrated her 69th birthday on Twitter and on the campaign trail in Florida. Tweeting a famous picture of the younger nominee, the Clinton camp said, "Happy birthday to this future president." Her campaign staff celebrated with a teal cake, which matched her pantsuit for the day, and at Clinton's rally, her supporters brought balloons.

5. Megyn Kelly and Newt Gingrich argue on-air.

Saying Kelly is "fascinated with sex and doesn't care about public policy" in an argument with the host on Fox News, Newt Gingrich certainly made headlines Wednesday morning. He argued that the media covered Trump's accusers far more than the Clinton camp's scandals, specifically a paid speech in Brazil in which Clinton advocated for open borders. Kelly arguably stayed cool and collected during the exchange, citing public concern as her reason for the content of her coverage.

6. Former PA Attorney General Kathleen Kane is sentenced to county prison.

Convicted of perjury, Kathleen Kane is sentenced to 23 months in county prison for stealing documents regarding an opponent, about which she proceeded to lie about to a grand jury. After having her young sons testify in her favor earlier this week, Kane still received a sentence although she is not serving in state prison.

7. UT Austin holds a bake sale protesting affirmative action.

This Wednesday, the Young Conservatives on UT Austin's campus held a bake sale to show a negative side of affirmative action. The cookies were priced differently for various races and ethnicities to demonstrate affirmative action's policies. These actions prompted outrage on campus and a statement from the university's Vice President for Diversity and Community Engagement.

8. The Eric Garner case is being revamped by authorities.

The Justice Department replaced officials working on the Garner case in order to move forward with the case, which was previously at a standstill. Attorney General Loretta Lynch had been considering how to proceed with the case for months. The new organization of the case cannot be disclosed fully due to its classification.

9. FLOTUS Michelle Obama joins Hillary Clinton for a rally.

During a North Carolina rally on Thursday, Michelle Obama made her case yet again for why America needs Hillary Clinton as president. Citing Clinton's lengthy experience in politics, Obama claimed that she was more prepared than Bill Clinton or President Obama to assume office. The Clinton camp documented the event on Twitter as it happened.

10. Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed.

Early on Wednesday morning, a suspect dressed as a construction worker literally smashed Trump's Walk of Fame star, trying to "remove it" according to the New York Times. On Thursday, the suspect was arrested on his way to explain his actions, for which he admits that he has no regrets.

With less than two weeks until the election, America seems more divided over the candidates than ever. Trump and Clinton supporters are always at odds while some Americans reject both major party candidates and opt to vote for Governor Johnson or Dr. Stein. In a mere eleven days, though, the election will be over, and we'll know who President #45 is.

Lead Image Credit: Tim Kaine via Twitter

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!