Display twitter
by Karly Matthews

Weekly Political Round-Up: Football Players, Hillary's Heath & Campus Republicans

By Karly Matthews - Sep 16 2016

The fifteenth anniversary of 9/11 dominated the news on Sunday, yet the headlines quickly changes to question Hillary Clinton's health. And there was yet another email leak, this time those of former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

1. American voters are a "basket of deplorable."

For politicians, it's usually not the best idea to attack their opponent's supporters but instead keep the insults aimed towards the actual candidate. Yet, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton called half of Trump supporters belong in "a basket of deplorables" on Friday. While some Democrats called the insult "insensitive but honest" many Republicans are wondering if Clinton really wants to represent them even at all.

2. America looks back on the last 15 years.

Fifteen years ago on Sunday, the United States was under attack as planes collided with the World Trade Center towers in New York City. On that day, we remembered devastating stories of those who lost their lives in the attacks, and we also reflected on how 9/11 changed American cultures. Multiple news outlets, like NBC Asian American, published essays about discrimination against Muslims since 2001.

3. Carla Hayden makes history as the first female and African American Librarian of Congress.

The fourteenth Librarian of Congress was named on Wednesday, a choice that excited many Americans about diversity and opportunity in this country. Dr. Carla Hayden, only the third Librarian of Congress to have librarian experience, has also practiced political activism notably in 2003 when she protested the Patriot Acts.

4. The email leak saga continues.

With Hillary Clinton's emails as a common theme this election added to the DNC leak, electronic communication isn't safe for secure information at the moment. This idea continued when former Secretary of State Colin Powell's emails, which discredited both political candidates, were hacked this week. As the New York Times so eloquently put it, the biggest fear for public officials right now is "being next."

5. Libertarian Gary Johnson captures millennial hearts.

Granted, Gary Johnson will not be the next president of the United States, but his appeal to millennials is only growing. Because both Clinton and Trump are largely unappealing to many Americans, young people are turning to a third party for help. Johnson leads the 18-24 age demographic five points over Hillary Clinton.

6. Leaving 9/11 Memorial early, Hillary Clinton has a health scare.

On Sunday at a 9/11 Memorial, Clinton allegedly "overheated," leaving the site early. However, video emerged of the presidential nominee fainting and being carried into a car, raising alarm for Democrats and Republicans alike. While most hoped she was OK, some found it troubling how long it took her campaign to tell the public what was happening. Since the event, Clinton has been recuperating off the campaign trail and her team has released medical information.

7. Kate Upton's tweets cause controversy.

Football players all over the country have been inspired by Colin Kaepernick's protest, and multiple Miami Dolphins took a knee - which they explain here - during the National Anthem on the anniversary of 9/11. In response, Upton tweeted out a few messages towards these players basically supporting their right to protest but questioning why they continued to do so on 9/11, a very emotional sentimental day for many Americans.

Many then questioned what gave her the right to tell others when they *should* protest.

8. College Republicans are under attack on campus.

It's a known fact that most college campuses on liberal, but many campuses still have Republican clubs, which have of late been under scrutiny. At the University of Miami, Donald Trump's website is blocked on university Wifi, but Clinton's site remains accessible. The College Republicans at UC Irvine were suspended for a year - this has since been revoked - after the club hosted an event featuring right-winger Milo Yiannopoulos.

9. President Obama campaigns for Hillary Clinton in Philadelphia.

Because Clinton took some time off the campaign, President Obama has stepped up to campaign for the Democratic nominee. On Tuesday, the president traveled to Philadelphia, where he spoke to a crowd about the importance of voting in this election as to keep GOP nominee Donald Trump out of the Oval Office.

10. Mike Pence - not Trump - releases his tax returns.

Last Friday, GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence released his tax returns, showing that he earned over $113,000 in 2015. Pence's tax returns weren't all that exciting, and it's actually very common - basically expected - for nominees to release said documents. That in mind, his running mate still has not released any tax returns, which is important to note with how much Trump claims to have given to charity.

With polls tightening up and voters making final decisions about their civic duty in November, the country has never seemed so divided, which is shown with the events of this anniversary of 9/11. With an impending presidential debate, the candidates will soon show America their true visions for the country.

Lead Image Credit: Kate Upton via Twitter

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!