by Karly Matthews

NeW Connects Women With Men in Its Annual Gentlemen Showcase

By Karly Matthews - Feb 18 2017

The Network of Enlightened Women, or NeW, has launched a national contest this month for men entitled The Gentlemen Showcase for the seventh year in a row.

The Network of Enlightened Women, as Fresh U covered last year, is an organization for conservative women that promotes intellectual diversity on college campuses. #ShesConservative is the organization’s social media claim to fame in which NeW members posted photos of themselves wearing "This is What a Conservative Looks Like" shirts.

Chapters of NeW across the country are nominating men with outstanding character from February 1 to February 28, and voting for “NeW Gentleman of the Year” will begin on March 1 and carry on through March 12.

NeW President Karin Agness gives insight into the contest:

“For women to succeed, women don’t have to stamp out men or see men as the enemy. For most women, much happiness is tied up in having great relationships with men—fathers, husbands, brothers, sons, friends and colleagues. The Gentlemen Showcase is a positive program to promote better relations between young men and women. Praising the men who treat everyone with the respect they deserve might just lead to more gentlemen.”

The contest has two categories: College Contest and Under 30 Contest. To nominate someone, you need to prepare a short biography and a photo here. To see some past nominations, you can visit NeW’s website for examples. This year, nominations have come from NeW chapters at UNC Chapel Hill, Florida State University and Harvard University, among others.

According to NeW Communications Fellow Diana Stancy:

“The purpose of The Gentlemen Showcase is to honor the upstanding gentlemen who do exist. This contest is designed to strengthen relationships between men and women, rather than pitting them against one another. Unlike a pageant, this event honors men who have exemplified extraordinary character.”

In 2016, 102 men were nominated in the two different categories, and the contest was featured on several media outlets like ABC, The Washington Post and Townhall. The winner of each category will receive a $1,000 donation to a charity of his choice. The Under 30 winner will receive a $100 Brooks Brothers gift card, and the College winner will receive a Vineyard Vines tie. The nominator will receive a $100 Amazon gift card.

Lead Image Credit: Diana Stancy via @enlightenedwomen on Twitter

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!