Display ripharambe
by Karly Matthews

Freshmen At Temple University Are Decorating Their Dorm Windows in Honor of Harambe

By Karly Matthews - Aug 31 2016

As the school year opens, college students all over the country are decorating their dorms and getting acclimated to campus, but at Philadelphia's Temple University, a certain late gorilla has taken the spotlight during this process.

Harambe, a gorilla shot and killed at the Cincinnati Zoo to protect a small boy who fell into the enclosure, has been mourned by the American public - especially American youth - since his death. Previously, Fresh U reported on a Syracuse dorm honoring the fallen animal, but Temple students at Morgan Hall are taking the memorial to a new level.

Freshmen Tori Marcune, Julie Clement, Kristen Henry and Michaela Logan recreated Harambe's face on their fifth-floor dorm window. 

"It's been an ongoing joke, and it's part of campus culture, so we figured we'd join in," said Clement.

Karly Matthews
Karly Matthews
Karly Matthews

"Harambe seems like a reoccurring theme in Morgan," added Marcune.

The amount of 'Harambe' windows is growing. When one window on the top floor wrote, "He was just a gorilla," another argued, "He was more than a gorilla."

Karly Matthews

Karly Matthews

"Harambe the gorilla is the biggest theme because it's a kind of stupid but funny thing in the social media world. People made jokes and memes about it, and a lot of people have reacted," said freshman Morgan Hall resident Torie Shultz about the windows.

Of course, Temple students couldn't let Morgan residents have all the fun, so one room in Johnson and Hardwick Hall joined the conversation.

Karly Matthews

Now, it's not uncommon to see students laughing together, pointing their camera phones at Morgan Hall windows while in the courtyard. In fact, it seems that Harambe posthumously has become a part of Temple culture. After all, he will not be forgotten.

Lead Image Credit: Karly Matthews

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!