Display 32325311613 8091e05e8a o cropped
by Karly Matthews

7 Conservative Students React to President Trump's Seventh Week in Office

By Karly Matthews - Mar 10 2017

From a tweeted accusation of former President Obama’s “wiretapping” of Trump Tower to a new executive order on immigration, the Trump administration has had a busy week. As well, the GOP leadership in Congress unveiled a replacement for Obamacare. Although the bill’s official name is the American Healthcare Act, some have dubbed it “Ryancare” after Speaker Paul Ryan. President Trump quickly endorsed the plan after it was announced.

Fresh U caught up with seven students about both the president’s and Congress’s actions this past week:

1. Adam Krizner, Temple University, Criminal Justice

“The wiretapping thing is a distraction planted by Trump to draw attention away from [Jeff] Sessions and isn't actual news. The only problem with the new travel ban is that it is not the old one; the ninth circuit clearly overstepped its power by ruling that the president cannot access and deal with a national security threat as he sees fit.”

2. Adah Koivula, Normandale Community College, Dual-Enrolled High School Senior

“The Obamacare replacement is a lousy attempt to satisfy voters on a replacement of Obamacare. Paul Ryan thought he could pull one over on voters and trick us into thinking he was actually replacing Obamacare. This new replacement goes against what voters wanted. We wanted a repeal and replace plan for Obamacare not a ‘trim the edges’ plan.”

3. Lauren Nickel, Virginia Tech University, Chemistry

“The travel ban is something I've followed closely and I'm optimistic that the new executive order will be a better representation of the safety measures that need to be taken to protect this country. While I never believed this was a "Muslim ban," I did not support the original clause that disregarded valid visas. Now that those with valid green cards are exempt from the executive order, I think this temporary travel ban will be an effective way to temporarily prevent a possible terrorist attack while the new administration reviews our current vetting process.”

4. Valente Montes, College of the Canyons, Political Science

“The health care bill that Speaker Paul Ryan released this week is an utter disappointment and mirrors the very bill that Republicans have promised for over seven years to repeal and replace. The outcome of the 2016 election gave Republicans the opportunity they needed to enact a conservative agenda without the necessity to compromise on key issues such as healthcare. Quite possibly the only good thing about the replacement bill is that it [prevents] Planned Parenthood from continuing to receive federal funding. Speaker Ryan and the Republicans should take the advice of Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton and ‘start over.’”

5. Sierra Johnson, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Respiratory Therapy

“When I first heard about the wiretapping incident, I was not shocked because nothing surprises me anymore with this past election. After reading up on it, I believe an investigation needs to be conducted. However, I also believe that we have bigger things to worry about as a country, and Trump should put his main focus on those issues.”

6. Taylor Hubbs, University of Arizona, Public Administration & Policy

"As a conservative voter, I feel like I've been lied to. Our congressional Republican leadership swore that when they had the man-power in both chambers that they would deliver a full repeal of Obamacare. Now that the people delivered on their end, congressional Republicans have delivered the American Healthcare Act, which is not the free market approach to healthcare that I prefer. Instead, they stripped Obamacare down and put a GOP spin on it. That's simply not good enough. I want a full repeal — like we were promised."

7. Josh Hall, Harrisburg Area Community College, Undeclared

“Whether or not the wiretapping allegations that President Trump has made against former President Obama are true, Congress has to investigate it. If Democrats are calling for an investigation into the Russia matter when there is no proof to back up those allegations, then why won't they also call for an investigation into this situation? The answer is simple: because they are only out to de-legitimize President Trump. The President obviously had a reason to make the statement that he did about the alleged wiretapping, and we must remember that presidents have more intel than your average, everyday American citizen. I must also say that like the way they handle most things, the media has been completely unfair in how they've covered this situation. When an allegation is made against President Trump (such as Russia), they automatically are all over it and believe it. However, the moment he makes a statement that they don't agree with, they immediately resort to calling him a liar and sometimes even questioning his mental stability. It is wrong, and I would even go so far as to call it irresponsible journalism for them to not even treat these allegations as if they could be true. The American people are sick and tired of the media's blatantly biased narrative, and that is exactly why they chose to elect President Trump. So while the wiretapping allegations may or may not be true, it really doesn't make a difference. The point is that we have to treat this situation like we would treat any other, and take a fair and serious look at it in order to maintain integrity within our government.”

The measures of the immigration executive order will be in effect March 16th and speculation about whether or not the American Healthcare Act will pass has already begun.

Lead Image Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr Creative Commons

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!