by Karly Matthews

6 Things You Should Do With Your Family During the Holidays

By Karly Matthews - Dec 24 2016

In every single college-based movie ever, there's a scene in which a mom is dabbing her teary eyes and a dad looks like he's seen a ghost. Move-in day for all of us was exciting and represented a new beginning, but for our parents and even our siblings or grandparents, the day we moved in marked the end of an era. We were no longer the little children that they all watched grow up. Since we've left for college, their lives have changed too, and now that we're back for winter break, it's important that we make up for lost time.

The holidays, no matter what you celebrate or don't celebrate, are a time to come together and spend time with those people who are most important to us. Fresh U compiled a list of things you should do with your family members while you have some time off.

1. Catch Up

Even though you might not want to disclose every single part of your college experience to your parents because after all, there's a reason you went to college without your parents nearby, they want to know that you've been OK and you're having fun — while still managing to be a little bit productive, of course. Tell them about that girl in your math class who raised her hand to answer every single question, or about that time you and your roommates laughed so hard that milk came out of someone's nose. 

2. Play Games

Board games and card games are some of the best ways to bond, and some of the only ways in our fast-moving world that don't require technology. Games like Clue, Yahtzee or Monopoly can accommodate many of your family members, and before you know it, it'll feel like you've never been gone. Just don't let you temper get in the way of having family fun.

3. Find Holiday Events Near You

If you're like me and don't live in a huge city, it can be harder to find fun holiday events to attend with your family. That said, holiday cheer is limited to the likes of New York City and Los Angeles, so with a little digging, you can find a cute Christmas market or a holiday show near you. Experiencing the holidays with your family is the best way to spend your break.

4. Eat (and Cook) Way Too Much

Whether this includes making a ridiculous amount of Christmas cookies or eating traditional holiday meals no matter what you celebrate, December is a month to eat way more than your share. After all, we just finished a semester of college in which our moms or dads couldn't cook for us every day. Now that you're home, it's time to take advantage of home-cooked meals, and cooking with family can also be a bonding experience.

5. Watch Your Favorite Holiday Movies

There's no better way to feel like a kid than to watch all the movies that you lived by during your childhood holiday seasons. Whether it be A Christmas Story, Elf, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or another beloved film, watching these iconic movies with your family is the best way to get into the holiday spirit.

6. Don't Forget Presents

College is crazy and busy, but if you didn't already get your family members holiday presents, it's time to scramble. After all, your family has most likely been your support system and much of the reason you could even go to college, so blowing off gifts for them seems like a terrible idea. Of course, spending a lot of money is out of the question, but make sure your gifts at least show some thought. You want your family to know how much they mean to you during the holidays.

Whether you're happy to be home or are already missing college, don't take your time with your family for granted and make the most of your few weeks at home. Remember: it won't be long before you're not a college student anymore.

Lead Image Credit: Pexels via Freestocks

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!