by Karly Matthews

6 Conservative Students React to Trump's Ninth Week in Office

By Karly Matthews - Mar 24 2017

Amidst serious accusations of President Trump’s possible connections to Russia, Supreme Court Justice nominee Neil Gorsuch has begun his confirmation hearings and continues to be extremely popular with conservatives. Also in headlines, “First Daughter” Ivanka Trump has been given a West Wing office and security clearances in her father’s administration. As well, President Trump signed a bill aimed at NASA sending people to Mars. Meanwhile, the battle over healthcare in Congress still rages, as the GOP delayed the vote on the American Healthcare Act on Thursday.

Fresh U caught up with 6 conservative students, both in high school and college, who gave their thoughts regarding this week in the Trump administration:

Brandon Ferrance, Political Science Major, Shippensburg University

“From the moment that President Trump announced that he was nominating Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, I was impressed by his record. After day three of his confirmation hearing, I am still impressed with Judge Gorsuch. He is a judge with a proven conservative track record who decides cases based on the interpretation of the law and the Constitution, not his person beliefs. Both liberals and conservatives agree that Judge Gorsuch is eminently qualified to serve on the Supreme Court. I am confident that he will be a terrific Supreme Court Justice.”

Aaron Carpenter, Ohio State University, Mechanical Engineering

“I've been on the Trump train for about 2 years now, and I swear it gets more exciting every day.  There are 2 equally incorrect statements: (1) Everything Donald Trump does (or says) is right. (2) Everything Donald Trump does (or says) is wrong. Regarding Russian interference in the election, I do not believe Trump did anything wrong.  So far, there has been literally no evidence to suggest that Donald Trump colluded with Russian officials during the election cycle.  Currently, the Trump administration is being investigated for possible collusion … Russia did not hack the 2016 General Election that took place in the United States of America.  Hillary Rodham Clinton's historical and catastrophic defeat was not a result of Russia … Donald Trump's Electoral College margin of victory (306-232) was the largest Republican victory margin since George Bush Sr. in 1988, and this was not because of Russia. Instead of blaming Russia for everything, I think it's time that the Democrats take some accountability for their actions … Hillary Clinton did not lose because of Russia. I think we, as a country, need to stop worrying about Russian interference and start worrying about things that affect millions of Americans: healthcare, national security, gun control, immigration law, etc.  Russian interference in the election is a lost cause.  It is a pointless narrative and pitiful excuse Democrats will use to explain their defeat last November … Democrats need to stop worrying about Russia and start worrying about their deteriorating party…”

Riley Jensen, Claremore High School, High School Junior

“I commend Ivanka for her increased involvement with the Trump administration. I feel that she is empowering women in a positive way, unlike women who participate in the Women's Marches or protests. She's actively encouraging women to participate in STEM and Business fields, and helping to diversify the workplace statistics for women. Her growing role in the administration is being seen worldwide, as she participates in workplace development discussions and vows to bring a voice to women even when she's surrounded by men. Ivanka is also advocating for women who are being silenced by shining a light on modern day slavery across the globe, partnering with the End It Movement. All in All, Ivanka is a strong woman that brings something to the table that many of Trump's advisors and cabinet members do not have. She's not only an advocate for women, but for human rights as well.”

Katie Restifo, University of Nevada Reno, Criminal Justice

“From the moment President Trump announced the nomination of Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court Justice, I've been more than excited. The thought of having a jurist with the credentials and experience he does, along with his drive to uphold the fundamentals of our Constitution is something that I and many other Conservatives are looking forward to. I feel that Neil Gorsuch would do an outstanding job in filling Scalia's seat in the Supreme Court, but even more so after the committee hearings. In questions he answered regarding his duties as a judge, he made sure to express his impartiality in decision making, as well as his consistency in interpreting the law. Based on Gorsuch's responses to the 10 hours of questioning from the Senate Judiciary Committee, I am confident in his abilities to uphold the law of the land as Supreme Court Justice of the United States.”

Devin Sena, Daytona State College, Political Science

“In what feels like a daily occurrence, the media pushes stories like, “New revelations in Trump’s ties with Russia,” “Trump = Best friends with Putin,” “Russia Hacked The Election?!?,” etc. These stories seem to be attempts by members of the media to delegitimize the Trump administration and are often baseless and lack any truth whatsoever. While the media claim Russia “hacked the election,” and encourage war, the House Intelligence Committee gathered for a hearing on Monday where both the NSA and FBI Director testified that there is ZERO evidence of the claim. Similarly, a few weeks back President Trump accused President Obama of wiretapping his phones at Trump tower, but once again there is zero evidence or truth found behind the statement. While the media and the White House erode their public trust, it is vital to remember that truth is not relative or malleable ... If either party wants to begin to be taken seriously, they must end the lies and stick to the truth and only the truth.”

Bailey La Sage, University of Wisconsin Madison, Political Science & Spanish

“When President Trump announced that he had selected Tenth Circuit Judge Neil Gorsuch as his nominee for the vacant seat on the Supreme Court, I knew that our country was in good hands. As I have watched Judge Gorsuch’s nomination hearings play out, I have hope for the future of this nation’s highest court to take a step back from the activist role that has seemingly become a norm, and go back to the role that was intended. In a nation where we have courts taking on an activist role and continually overstepping the bounds of the judiciary, Judge Gorsuch approaches his role with a refreshing view that is in step with what was put forth with the Constitution. To me, he has demonstrated the expertise, knowledge, and grit needed to serve in this position. With his nomination, and hopeful confirmation, I am optimistic of the future for our nations judiciary system and I look forward for what the future holds.”

With so much going on in the young administration, it’s imperative to stay up to date on political news so that you’re aware of policies and events that affect you. It’s also essential to talk to both political allies and opponents in your daily life so that you’re understanding all sides of the issues.

Lead Image Credit: PBS News Hour via Youtube

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!