by Karly Matthews

6 Conservative Students React to Trump's 13th Week in Office

By Karly Matthews - Apr 21 2017

The Trump family celebrated Easter for the first time in the White House this past Sunday, but celebrations didn’t dominate the political conversation this week. On Tax Day, there was a march demanding that the president releases his own tax returns, and North Korea launched another failed missile.

Fresh U caught up with six conservative students to learn their opinions on current presidential events:

Chris Beyer, Missouri State University, Socio-Political Communications

“This past week, we saw American resolve stay firm in the face of the North Korean regime and their threats. When confronted with the use of chemical weapons or the congregation of terrorists, we had a swift, proportional response. This response, along with cooperation from China and Japan, has obviously made an impact on North Korea's decisions. North Korea may continue (and fail) with their mission launches, but between the renewed American resolve and a hardened Chinese policy, North Korea will find themselves shut out of the world- on every front.”

Maria Duca, Temple University, Early Childhood/Special Education

“As an education major, I was especially eager to see how this year’s annual White House Easter Egg Roll would unfold...From the outside, the event seemed to be quite enjoyable for the children and families who attended. I noticed many smiling faces from the children as they participated in the roll, listened to a story read by First Lady Melania Trump and interacted with President Trump. I was, however, very disappointed to read some articles regarding the Easter Egg Roll. Once again, the Trump Administration was criticized, this time over a seemingly peaceful event. The big headlines from President Trump’s first Easter in office focus on the fact that he tossed a boy’s hat into a crowd and that his wife had to prompt him to place his hand over his heart during the national anthem. Now, I’m not giving Mr. Trump a free pass for throwing that boy’s autographed hat, but the coverage of this year’s Roll is just another example of the media bias that this administration will deal with for the rest of this term. Although the media may not think this administration can do anything right, I commend Mr. and Mrs. Trump for successfully hosting their first Easter Egg Roll.”

Mitchell Snyder, Dickinson College, Economics & Law Policy

“It is reassuring to see American leadership abroad. I was happy to see President Trump speak of working with the Chinese government to combat the threat North Korea possesses.”

Penelope Fjellanger, Seton Hall University, Business Administration: Marketing & International Organizations

“Seeing the first Easter of the Trump administration was great, and I loved seeing all the images from the Easter Egg Roll. I did notice there was less media coverage on the Easter Egg Roll than in past years. Now, the real question: who was in the Easter rabbit costume this year? Sean Spicer?”

Rachel Ferrance, Shippensburg University, Public Administration

“Trump keeps stating that he doesn’t believe North Korea has a missile that can make it to the U.S., and personally I agree. I don’t think they have developed the technology they would need to make a missile that could reach the U.S. We as a nation need to keep them under close watch but in recent tests North Korea has proven us right, the tests have been failures. If North Korea can’t successfully get the missile in the air for more than a few seconds without it exploding, they most definitely cannot get it to reach the U.S. Although the White House has yet to confirm or deny whether they had something to do with the stopping of the first test, I believe we did and if the US can hack into their system to shut down the first test we can easily hack into the system again if it ever became a legitimate threat.”

Devin Sena, Daytona State College, Political Science

“If conservatives continue to focus solely on fiscal issues rather than morality and social issues, we will lose this nation. The GOP is scared to utter the word abortion, while Democrats have people bragging on stage about theirs to the sound of thunderous applause. We must stand for the sanctity of life, marriage, religious liberty, objective truth and reality & founding moral creed for survival of the U.S. We must stop talking to people's wallets and fears and talk about cultural issues and make moral arguments, they are not irrelevant! Social conservatism is vital. If we can't help people understand fundamental fact that these issues are valuable, no other issue matters. (1) If you can win people's hearts, you win the culture. (2) If you believe aforementioned, you're a rare and incredible breed of conservative.”

From thoughts on the presidency to thoughts on the modern conservative movement, right-leaning students are voicing their beliefs on campuses all over the country. No matter your political affiliation, make sure to reach across the aisle now and then.

Note: When given options of recent events, these students did not comment on President Trump’s tax returns.

Lead Image Credit: CNN

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!