Display lexy
by Karly Matthews

5 Students Share Why They Are Voting for Donald Trump on Election Day

By Karly Matthews - Oct 30 2016

Although it’s a common stereotype that young people are always politically liberal, some student voters who are breaking that mold in the 2016 presidential elections. These students, instead of supporting the Clinton-Kaine ticket, are casting their ballots in favor of Donald Trump and Mike Pence.

Fresh U interviewed students through Facebook Messenger to discover why Trump has their vote.

1. Seth Schorr, Senior - Arizona State University - Political Science

“For the most part, I think [Trump] is anti-establishment, and the current establishment is more or less a globalist regime working towards open borders [and] open trade, which I think is impossible. Free trade is just freedom to use other people’s slaves, which is down-right evil, and no one talks about it. Trump desires to tariff, puts America first and champions American exceptionalism [as well as] Global Hegemonic Stability Theory, which I adhere to. Additionally, Hillary [Clinton] cannot name the next four Supreme Court justices because she. . .receives no scrutiny from the media. Consider all the newspapers: a lot of people in office hate [Trump]. There are the people who have been slowly destroying our country, many Republicans [and Democrats] alike. They do nothing to stop President Obama, yet they castigate Trump and he’s not even in office. Trump is not like them; he’d actually break up their little country club.”

2. Lexy*, Freshman - Temple University - Secondary Education & History

“Despite what a lot of people say, I think Trump would be a very good president. Yes, I understand he is a little crazy and says a lot of stuff that he shouldn’t, but I think sometimes a lot of what he says is what people are really thinking but do not want to say. Again, though, sometimes it can be a little over the top. I really like Trump because I think he truly does care about America. He really supports our veterans, which I think is a top priority. He aims to help them in all areas, especially receiving healthcare and benefits they and their families need. Trump’s campaign is very patriotic, and I think that’s important, especially compared to Hillary [Clinton], who didn’t even wear a flag pin during the debates. Trump wants to restore law and order but at the same time does care about equality. As much as people claim Trump is racist, he really is not. He cares about all legal American citizens equally. Trump is a businessman and can use that logic and skill to help rebuild America.”

3. Ryan Smith, Freshman - West Chester University - Accounting & Finance

“I’m supporting Trump due to my distrust in Hillary Clinton. She has made many decisions that have hurt this country and lost American lives in the process, and I don’t see her as fit to be president. Also, I feel economically, Trump is the best answer for helping to decrease our national deficit with his background in business. Lastly, Hillary Clinton has been involved in politics her entire life but has never made the changes that she is running her platform around, which is why I think it’s time to take a chance on someone new and different, who isn’t afraid to say what he has on his mind.”

4. Sarah Gibson, Freshman - University of Central Florida - Political Science with Intelligence & National Security and Biology Minors

“On the issue of gun control, Donald Trump has not only sworn to protect our constitutional right to bear arms, but he has also proposed expansions to mental health treatment and the return of programs such as Project Exile to get gang members and drug dealers off our streets. The combination of these efforts would keep firearms out of the wrong hands, leading to safer communities, while not infringing upon the rights of law-abiding citizens. Under Donald Trump’s tax plan, a minimum wage single-filer – also known as a college student – who makes under $75,000 a year would have an income tax of only six percent while under Clinton’s tax plan, a single-filer who makes between $0-$75,000 would pay up to 25 percent in income tax. For a college student like myself, every cent counts, and Hillary’s tax plan could cost up to four times more.”

5. Adam Krizner, Sophomore - Temple University - Criminal Justice

“[I support Trump] because he is the only hope for defeating Hillary Clinton, and because he is the Republican nominee, I think it is our duty as Republicans to support him if we want to win.”

With the election just over a week away, students all over the country are honing in their specific belief systems and choosing a candidate to cast a vote for on November 8. Stay tuned for Fresh U's coverage of Clinton, Johnson and Stein supporters.

Lead Image Credit: Lexy via Facebook Messenger

*Last name is omitted by interviewee’s request.
Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!