by Karly Matthews

5 Conservative Students React to Trump's 11th Week in Office

By Karly Matthews - Apr 10 2017

Arguably the most action-packed week of the 45th presidency to date, this week was eventful on both the domestic and foreign spheres. The investigation into Russian election interference continues as President Trump works on healthcare, rearranging the National Security Council and his Supreme Court nominee.  Meanwhile, a chemical attack on Syrian civilians dominated the foreign policy conversation and Trump authorized a missile attack on Syria. 

Autumn Price, Liberty University, History

"[Pre-U.S. Action] I am appalled by the recent actions in Syria. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this atrocity. I will say, however, that I am hesitant about the argument that the United States should consider military action in Syria... [Post-U.S. Action], I would add that I am [still] hesitant about the situation. While I believe that something should be done regarding the situation with Assad, I worry that U.S. involvement would lead to another long, drawn-out war in the already unstable Middle East. I wish President Trump had gotten congressional approval before the strikes, and I strongly believe that the possibility of any further action should be properly debated before Congress."

Josh De Ford, Pensacola Christian College, Graphic Design

“Thanks to the Democrat party, protests of any kind have turned into nothing more than a joke. The LGBT crowd that held a 'dance party' in front of Ivanka Trump’s home this week was one of the biggest jokes of them all. There are plenty problems with President Trump, but being anti-LGBT isn’t one of them. He is the most pro-LGBT presidents to ever take office so this kind of pathetic behavior is not the way to get the results they want. Democrats have a really hard time understanding this simple fact, but their grassroots efforts won’t see much progress until they do.”

Chance Shipley, Drexel University (Current High School Senior), Computer Engineering

“The continued disapproval of Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch by Democrats is baseless. A nominee with such extensive judicial experience and a full understanding of the Constitution should not face hurdle after hurdle to be confirmed. These confirmation hearings are clearly political statements by the Democrats to protest the election of Donald Trump, nothing else. In 2006, Gorsuch was confirmed with full support of the Senate; Democrats and Republicans alike voted for his confirmation. The use of the 'nuclear option' by the Republican majority will confirm Gorsuch, but will change the rules of the chamber for terms to come. I feel as though further support from the Democrats for Neil Gorsuch, would benefit both parties, and be the first step in unifying the divided chambers.”

Lexy Zimmerman, West Chester University, History

“This past week Trump donated his first quarter paycheck to the National Park Service. I think that's pretty awesome! It's a little controversial because he's trying to cut their budget. Preserving funding and a budget would probably do a lot more than one check. Still, it is a nice gesture and he's fulfilling his promise of not keeping his pay for personal use. It's hard to try and gauge whether or not it's a publicity thing or him caring and trying to ration his pay to different organizations. I try and like to give Trump the benefit of the doubt in situations as I do with most people, though.”

Ryan Singer, Lynn University, Sports Management & Political Science

“I think it was a smart move to remove Steve Bannon from the NSC because he had no experience in that role and no one really knew what he was there for. I also think it was a good idea because I thought from the beginning when I saw Trump put him on there it was a mistake not only because of the lack of experience but because how he can let his anger get the best of him. I think that is not a trait you want when you have to make national security decisions. Another thing is I heard he was there only to keep an eye on Flynn which does not make sense because Flynn should not have had to be watched if he was on the NSC. Last but not least I liked how they added Rick Perry because I think he will be a great asset to the NSC and with his experience as governor it will help. With all that being said I approve of all the changes President Trump has made to the NSC and it gives me more confidence that he is learning a lot and listening to the men and women with experience.”

This week, although tumultuous, was extremely important for President Trump and his administration. The following weeks, especially in foreign policy, will be telling of the rest of Trump's term, and conservatives, as well as their liberal counterparts, will be watching.

Lead Image Credit: CNN

Karly Matthews - Temple University

Karly Matthews is a political science and journalism major with a Spanish minor at Temple University. In high school, she was editor-in-chief of her school's online newspaper, a member of the yearbook staff, a Spanish Club officer and a dancer for 12 years. In her free time, Karly drinks too much coffee and follows politics with an obsessive passion. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @karlymatthews_!