by Kamrin Baker

5 College Students React to the Unicorn Frappuccino

By Kamrin Baker - Apr 23 2017

On April 19, 2017, Starbucks released it's new "limited time only" drink, the Unicorn Frappuccino. 

The beverage is a creme frap with mango syrup and sour sprinkles. The blue drizzle in the middle is supposed to change colors over time and make the drink more tangy, as well. It will be available until April 23, or while supplies last.

Since unicorn-themed foods have been trending across the U.S., it only makes sense for one of the largest corporations to take the trend out with a bang... or a fizzle, according to some people.

I made a point of purchasing the drink, because it's unreal that this is actually happening. I used a gift card, though, because I can't justify spending real, personal money on something I might not even like the taste of. The beverage was more entertaining than enjoyable to the taste buds, and in the end, I did wind up posting a pic on Instagram —  which, in the frappuccino's defense, is a brilliant advertising technique. 

However, I am not a typical Starbucks connoisseur, and I think the Gen Z consumer group would have a lot of feelings about this out-of-the-norm product. Here's what they had to say.

1. BFOC (Big Frap on Campus).

"I actually got my second one today when I finished my shift at Starbucks and I can't even count how many times I got stopped as I walked across the University Union to class. Everyone wanted to know what I was drinking and what it tasted like. I described to my friend as it tastes like you'd expect a unicorn to be; an unexpected sour kick of personality that stands out among the traditional sweet fraps. As far as I know we haven't run out of them yet, but are easily expected to before the promo runs out." - Peter Gonzales, California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo

2. Drink to forget.

"When I first saw the pictures of the unicorn frap, I was really excited because it seemed like the drink would taste like cotton candy or bubblegum. The sour mango taste was a surprise... and not in a good way. Would not sip again." - Katie Atkinson, Mercer University 

3. Employee of the month.

"I'm not a huge fan of our frappuccinos that don't have coffee in them. This is made with a mango syrup, so it isn't as sweet as I thought it would be. The promotional fraps have a tendency to get a little carried away with all types of syrups and stuff, but this one wasn't bad! It's still not my absolute favorite and I personally couldn't drink a full one by myself, but I can't say I'm not happy they are trying something new, colorful and different. A bunch of people came through and got it today just because of its color. For a limited time offering drink, it's pretty good!"- Sydney Morrow, University of Nebraska-Omaha

4. Pretty in pink.

"Flavor-wise, I thought it was pretty tasty for a sweet fruity drink! It seemed to have a mango flavor that went well with the sour blue drizzle. It was awesome for a treat, but I will personally stick with coffee on my next visits, just because I prefer the coffee taste over the fruit flavors. The social media hype also really got my attention. I think they did an amazing job marketing it. I'm a Starbucks fan so I generally try their limited edition flavors at least once. The colors and the style of this drink made it too pretty to pass up!" - Hannah Janousek, University of Nebraska-Lincoln

5. Ya nasty.

"I got the Unicorn frap because everyone else was and I wanted to see if it lived up to the hype. But my immediate reaction was 'this is nasty.' It literally tasted like liquid bubblegum. My roommate and I both licked off the powder on the whipped cream and it was even worse. I literally ran into our kitchen to grab something else because it was so sour. Good thing I got it with my dining dollars and not with real money." - Gabby Frost, Drexel University 

So, even though the jury has mixed feelings, I'm mostly curious to find out if we all poop glitter tomorrow. Although most people don't anticipate getting this treat again, Starbucks definitely did a great job with marketing such a ~special~ menu item. Pray for all the employees who have to make a million of these babies between now and Sunday and let us know your thoughts on Twitter (@FreshUOnline) if you're brave enough to grab a grande!

Lead Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

Lead Image Credit: Funko via Twitter

Kamrin Baker - University of Nebraska Omaha

University of Nebraska-Omaha 2020. Journalism & Media Communications major. Contributor with Oh Tiny Heart and the UNO Gateway Newspaper. Dog mom. Devout mozzarella stick lover. Instagram (@kamstagrams) addict. High-strung, but happy to be here. (And @thekamrinbaker on Twitter.)