Display pexels photo 127627 large
by Kamrin Baker

10 Printable Quotes to Hang in Your Dorm Room

By Kamrin Baker - Oct 03 2016

I suffer from pretty nasty anxiety. When I was in high school, it kind of defined my life. In order to combat it, I would cover my walls at home with inspirational quotes and photos of things that made me happy. While they didn't quite jibe with our kitchen decor, my family was kind enough to let them stay up. And to be honest, I think the quotes put a smile on their faces, too.

When college came around, it was no question that I'd have quotes (and dog pictures) lining the walls of my dorm room. The question was: which ones? "Carpe diem" is painfully overrated, John Green was a high school trend and I needed some fresh inspiration for this new chapter of my life. 

For those who are easily stressed, struggle with anxiety and depression or just need a little kick in the booty, fear no more. I have curated some of my favorite sayings and even designed a printable of each of them just for you! (Thanks yearbook for teaching me InDesign for this very moment.)

1. "Don't forget the happy thoughts." - Chance the Rapper

Chance is killing the music scene right now - and he does it with such joy. This quote from his song "Same Drugs" simplifies one of my favorite reminders. Focus on the good stuff. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

2. "Sometimes you gotta work a little, so you can ball a lot." -Aziz Ansari playing Tom Haverford in Parks & Recreation

My friend Okina reminded me of this quote as I brainstormed for this article. Not only is this quote a hilarious truth, but it reminds me of a show that feels like home. Hit that play button on Netflix after your next study session. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

3. "No grit, no pearl." -Unknown 

I won't lie to you - this was a Pinterest inspiration. I love this quote for its simplicity and its honesty. Nothing easy is worth having. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

4. "I realized this week that I just can't do it all, so I will choose to do what I can - fabulously." -Clinton Kelly

I feel this on a deep level. Since the beginning of my college experience, I've been taking on more every week. But that's pretty dumb. Plus, Clinton Kelly is a national treasure. ("What Not To Wear" fans, what's up?)

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

5. "Chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice." -Unknown

This baby makes me feel deeply human. I picture myself wearing a flannel in the woods, realizing that it's time for me to do the hard stuff all on my own. But somehow, it's better that way. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

6. "Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, and live by love, though the stars walk backward." -E.E. Cummings

My boyfriend asked me to be his girlfriend two years ago, essentially by using this quote. It's kind of our thing, so I knew it had to be a part of this list. It's about taking chances and knowing intuitively that things will work out, even when the whole order of the universe feels like the opposite. AKA college. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

7. "Today is going to be a great day. I can and I will." -Gina Rodriguez

Gina is my GIRL. This is something she shared in her Golden Globe acceptance speech and it has stuck with me since. Gina not only has an incredible TV show, but her talent stems beyond her acting and into her positive behavior as a role model and kick-butt woman of color. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

8. "If you want to give light to others, you must glow yourself." -Thomas S. Monson

Self-explanatory as heck. I am a firm believer in the art of caring for yourself before you can even begin to deal with others, because, let's face it, being a person is exhausting. We kind of rock at starting fresh with each sunrise, though. This is a great reminder of that power.

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

9. "These things will be hard, but you can do hard things." -Glennon Doyle Melton

Glennon was on an episode of Oprah's Super Soul Sunday when I heard this. She is a best-selling author and ray of sunshine. This quote brings me back to reality. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

10. "At the end of the day, your feet should be dirty, your hair messy, and your eyes sparkling." -Unknown

Ain't this the truth? The best days of my life are the ones where I have handed myself over to the universe and all it has to offer. I guess this is kind of the cool way of saying carpe diem. 

Image Credit: Kamrin Baker

I hope these printables meet dorm room and Instagram feed needs, since that's the most aesthetically-pleasing and tangible form of motivation. Share your desk pics with @freshuonline on Instagram and keep on keeping on, you college babes. 

Kamrin Baker - University of Nebraska Omaha

University of Nebraska-Omaha 2020. Journalism & Media Communications major. Contributor with Oh Tiny Heart and the UNO Gateway Newspaper. Dog mom. Devout mozzarella stick lover. Instagram (@kamstagrams) addict. High-strung, but happy to be here. (And @thekamrinbaker on Twitter.)